TR5 Door Pulls

Hi All,

The door pulls on my TR5 have a gloss walnut finish that matches the dashboard but they are rather chunky and have started to split. Each is held in place with two self tapping screws and screw cups. I am considering reverting to what was fitted originally. Moss and Rimmer offer them under part number 812311 and 812321. However, there are two types with the vinyl/foam type being twice the price of the polyurethane versions. Has anyone had any experience of the two types? Also, how are they fixed to the doors, which is not apparent in the parts diagrams?

Thanks,

Denis

2 hours ago, Peter V W said:

Hi Denis,

The original door pulls were glued onto the door, Not a good detail.

I have fitted 4a door pulls, (with Roger’s help on this forum) the holes for the nuts are present in your door shell.

This provides a much more robust door pull.

Peter

2B1B3C91-ACB8-4DBA-B339-950E8329E5A8.jpeg

I did the same on my CP 6 and used These , they have been on for about 4years and held on very well so far.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Annoyingly, although the holes are there the spire nuts are no longer available.

I think an M4 rivnut fits fairily well and can be tapped to take the 8/40unf screw.  (it may be 8/32

Roger

It is 8/32

Stuart.

If you are going down the plain door top route and a chrome pull handle.

How big is the square hole in the door frame?   I have a small box full of plastic inserts for square holes which expand when a screw is fitted.   I have used these when converting TR5/6 to chrome door pulls.  
 Let me know the size you are after and I will dig through the box to see if there are any of that size left.    You will have to find suitable raised head countersunk self tapping screws.  - That do not touch the door glass when screwed right in.

Check the handle hole spacing on your door frame.

The Mini/MGB item which is black pull with chrome ends might do.

Mini part no GLZ118 instead of the TR all chrome item  650306 at nearly 3 times the price,

IMG_2192.jpeg

IMG_2193.jpeg

Thank you all very much for your helpful replies and kind offers. I should have said that a previous owner had fitted the 4A chrome door pulls, so already have them. It seems that the standard black door trim is glued in place, which would work well for me as I won't use them to pull the door shut. I'd better start saving up for the more expensive trims or perhaps try to find some good second hand or NOS original trims.

Regards,

Denis