DIY gearbox tunnel

Hi,

I think this could be worth an own thread?

My TR4A came with a "cardboard" (?) gearbox tunnel, which I have never seen.

Because the classic car dealer swapped it to a fibre glass tunnel to make the car ready to sell.

With the gb out the first time I noticed its poor fitting and with the MX5 gearbox I had to cut it out.

ADCreHeWJGbnmrqyCBUx8p-Q5izsTB_dhGf3eBH5

This gave the idea to make it new from DC04 "Tiefziehblech", something I never made, perhaps a good exercise with no need for a perfect result?

My mate Dieter, a 100 points DIY man with a 100 points workshop borrowed me his strecher / shrinker.

ADCreHcTiealjZNF1V_ZWc36gL1nG0qIFhiLvgBf

From cardboard I made negatives of the car floor, from this postives from laminated wood.

ADCreHeTW6SqA0ouQUvvwPuhrMOuHi2I_sje4dpw

I started with the right side flange, obvious more simple than the left one with its sharp S shape at the front end.

Please be gentle and ignore the chaos on my workbench, I started euphoric.

ADCreHdJeNkAIqjpmxVFbfj_H0pvDiRLqQhQRsSO

On the left side I learned: streching wide makes the flange slim, shrinking tight makes it "crumpled".

ADCreHfapZ3PDX3m7eEsceOkqzd4-tYTvDDrxlg_

Dieter gave me the advice to cut and weld the flange on the sharp S on the front end: too wide to strech and tight to shrink.

Knowing his classc cars and projects I know: this man knows what he is talking about!

ADCreHefCHaVBrhD2PWEE323oJ_QYnbTyxwqQJUO

A model made from cardboard helped me to easy find the shape for a sheet steel cover.

ADCreHcHIHc85EeBqDsQnmCOGtmJ36TQJh-Wxac_

ADCreHdVDs3ZKtCcqtISa8lY-OVaELLXqirVbWHD

Yesterday I fitted both sides in the car, drilled 8 of the 10 holes perfectly, therefore I had to modify the shape of the right side at the bend for gb bell

ADCreHe9OUul4g89mEtLE6websByryynRdGu3oI-

The ear end is a bit longer than original to cover what I had to cot out for the MX5 gearbox.

The quetion is which end to continue: at the rear will be more easy and has the benefit for me to lear,

the front end is more difficult but without the rear end finished I have better access now....

Looking forward for your advice and questions.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

DC04 "Tiefziehblech" = DC04 a deep-drawing steel of the DC grade family.

Gosh, Marco, brave to choose steel, when I would choose aluminium to be easier, although I couldn't weld it.  And a good looking start!

Recently and for a similar reason - I fitted a Ford Type 9 gearbox to my TR-engined Vitesse - I had to extend the GRP cover.  Below, extended with alloy panels, that were removed after being the mould for extra GRP, as in second pic.

To make an entire gearbox in GRP, your old one could have been the mould after being extended in this way.

But keep going, you're doing a grand job!

John

GB cover mould outer view.jpg

GRP GB extension 1.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies
6 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

Because the classic car dealer swapped it to a fibre glass tunnel to make the car ready to sell.

With the gb out the first time I noticed its poor fitting and with the MX5 gearbox I had to cut it out.

This gave the idea to make it new from DC04 "Tiefziehblech", something I never made, perhaps a good exercise with no need for a perfect result?

My mate Dieter, a 100 points DIY man with a 100 points workshop borrowed me his strecher / shrinker.

From cardboard I made negatives of the car floor, from this postives from laminated wood.

I started with the right side flange, obvious more simple than the left one with its sharp S shape at the front end.

On the left side I learned: streching wide makes the flange slim, shrinking tight makes it "crumpled".

Dieter gave me the advice to cut and weld the flange on the sharp S on the front end: too wide to strech and tight to shrink.

Knowing his classc cars and projects I know: this man knows what he is talking about!

A model made from cardboard helped me to easy find the shape for a sheet steel cover.

Yesterday I fitted both sides in the car, drilled 8 of the 10 holes perfectly, therefore I had to modify the shape of the right side at the bend for gb bell

The ear end is a bit longer than original to cover what I had to cot out for the MX5 gearbox.

The quetion is which end to continue: at the rear will be more easy and has the benefit for me to lear,

the front end is more difficult but without the rear end finished I have better access now....

Ciao, Marco

Skin pegs are your friend.

I grew up with Avdel screw type but the spring type by Cleco are superb for holding bits of metal in a way you finally want to see them assembled.   Easier than a blob or tack welds nut and bolt/self tapping screw.   Simply drill a hole through both bits and clamp it all together before you commit to permanent welding or brazing or riveting 

https://aircraftengineersstore.com/product-category/clamps/

IMG_2084.png

image.jpeg.0092b9501cb03e30766bd6f6a92c23a9.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
4 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Thanks, Roger, but "Rimmer"???

Rimmer as in the Bros, of Lincoln?

Rimmer as in Arnold Judas, of Red Dwarf?

Or what?

John

If the subject is deep drawing sheet steel for pressing body panels, I knew it as CR1 steel.    Anything less would split or tear when pressed.   

Hi John

sorry brain racing away and not explaining.

There is a grade of steel used in the automobile industry that works exceptionally well.

Press/bend/stamp/form and with a very good surface.  It is calling Rimming steel  *as in Rhyming)  or Rimmed steel.

Very handy in the workshop for hand forming.  I don't know its technical name/number.

So Rimmers and Rimmer are not what I was talking about.

Roger

40 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Skin pegs are your friend.

I grew up with Avdel screw type but the spring type by Cleco are superb for holding bits of metal in a way you finally want to see them assembled.   Easier than a blob or tack welds nut and bolt/self tapping screw.   Simply drill a hole through both bits and clamp it all together before you commit to permanent welding or brazing or riveting 

https://aircraftengineersstore.com/product-category/clamps/

IMG_2084.png

image.jpeg.0092b9501cb03e30766bd6f6a92c23a9.jpeg

Thanks,

I have seen them before and remember now.

I‘m 50/50 for „safe the money“ / „idiot, grab them!“

12 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Thanks,

I have seen them before and remember now.

I‘m 50/50 for „safe the money“ / „idiot, grab them!“

My brother bought a set of Cleco spring type to aid in his TR2 rebuild and says he would not be without them now.   I had screw tightened type from my apprentice days for aircraft skin work and used them on the TR when I did some bodywork repairs.  A while back  I sent a couple of small (3/32”. =2.3mm)  to a man repairing wiper motors to retain the brass self parking piece in the lid while he was re riveting it in place after cleaning and plating. 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Apologies to you Marco.    We have drifted your thread.

I will delete my additions if you feel they detract from the essence of the DIY tunnel thread.

No problem!

This is a chat forum!

On 11/26/2023 at 11:36 AM, Z320 said:

Hi,

My mate Dieter, a 100 points DIY man with a 100 points workshop borrowed me his stretcher / shrinker.

The question is which end to continue: at the rear will be more easy and has the benefit for me to lear,

Ciao, Marco

Nice work Marco, as always.  That  stretcher / shrinker looks to be a very useful tool. It's a shame we are not neighbours  ;)

Regarding which end next.. Reaching under the dashboard is awkward enough at the best of times, and handling steel panels in the gap can lead to damage underside of the dashboard - so I'd recommend working on the most difficult forward end first.   Remember to allow access to starter motor bolts. 

All the best.  Pete

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

Nice work Marco, as always.  That  stretcher / shrinker looks to be a very useful tool. It's a shame we are not neighbours  ;)

Regarding which end next.. Reaching under the dashboard is awkward enough at the best of times, and handling steel panels in the gap can lead to damage underside of the dashboard - so I'd recommend working on the most difficult forward end first.   Remember to allow access to starter motor bolts. 

All the best.  Pete

Plus oil filler too

Hi,

working on this in the car is very much a pain,

special for me, because I hurt my ribs very easy - what indeed happend agian.

So I decided to connect my both models left and right in tghe car and make a wooden model to work mainly on a table.

ADCreHfouM6gM3c7h17pbxqnXdWGTnobP_CLoMQk

ADCreHd5BQBwYVEufmVZbFSpTvokNrlM0SHFI587

I think this is a good idea - for me, apart from I need more time.

With already snow and salt on the streets (Dezember 03rd) this is no problem.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi,

only slowly progess, making the wooden model and first panel need endless time.

First fit today with the H-console on my model and in the car was OK.

ADCreHdljtx84CEbaUd9d2pqR15h_MZmllty0_5p

The shape is correct.

Ciao. Marco

Edited by Z320

Marco,

You asked above about how to "wire the edge" of a flat panel, to enclose a wire for stiffness and to protect the fingers.

See: http://wiki.dtonline.org/index.php/Wired_Edge

Looks like you allowed a little too much for the wire. As said on that page it's 2.5 x the wire diameter.

Good luck!

John