Door Card Damp Proof Membrane

Hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding my door innards, window channels, springs etc. as usual the damp proof membrane is missing and looks a right pain to replace, I was toying with the idea of coating the inside of the door card with dilute PVA to seal it but concerned it may warp, just wondering if anyone has tried this?

I am certain that applying pva to one side of the hardboard panel will result in warping.

I simply cut a piece of 500 gauge clear pvc to the correct shape and fitted it direct to the door panel using Tesa 4965 clear double sided tape. 

Worked for me.

Cheers,

Tim

IMG_6027.thumb.JPG.ccbcdb035573ce88a56bc47ac854d3cb.JPG

Done the same as it seemed al lot easier and likely more effective than the original rain curtains and easier to fit.

Andy

It isn’t rocket science - just do as Andy and Tim have. To aid installation I use 3m double sided tape where I want the PCV to attach. It means you can remove the pvc and re-attach without too much hassle for window fettling etc.

So just me that makes the effort and replaces the three piece type as original then. After 30 yrs my door cards are still like new on the inside as they’re fitted, mind you my cards are made of oiled hardboard as original unlike the new ones now that seem to be made of a very soft fibreboard 

Stuart.

The original rain curtains kept the water off the mechanisms inside the door. It directs any water down to the drains at the bottom.

Keeping the hardboard/fibre board dry is not the ONLY thing to do.

I try to keep the curtains working as the should.

Roger

Front and rear are wrapped round behind the window slides and the centre is attached to the glass mounting plate. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/body-chassis/doors-fittings/doors-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

Do these help?

Tim

IMG_4318.thumb.JPG.8e2358675e2d04a93efdf87b5fd89656.JPG

IMG_4321.thumb.JPG.be9fa63ecdaa684e7bb4932b8c965803.JPG

IMG_4324.thumb.JPG.e2900c563312e564cc282978fc634686.JPG

Good pictures Tim, the top of each front and rear curtain has cardboard stapled in believe it or not as a stiffener at the top where its clipped on the door. You can see where the bolts for the window slides pierce them too.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, harlequin said:

Thanks Tim

Yes they help.

It would appear that the curtain attached to the window gets scrunched up when the window is lowered, to straighten it when the widow is raised is it fixed at the bottom some how?

G

I don’t believe so, just hangs, but Stuart will, I’m sure, confirm that.

Tim

12 minutes ago, Tim T said:

I don’t believe so, just hangs, but Stuart will, I’m sure, confirm that.

Tim

It does just hang to the bottom of the door, long enough so when the glass is all the way up it is about an inch longer to lay in the bottom. FWIW and I know it makes the installation of them messy but waxoyl or whatever you want in the way of rust proofing first of all as many years ago I tried doing it after and every time I wound the window up there was a smear of waxoyl on the glass!

Stuart.