First frost of this winter

Last night there was frost in my garden and the garage roof is now being warmed by the clear sky and sun.  I have checked my garage shelves  and I found that I have an unopened one litre of Comma Super cold master Concentrate. It must be at least a year old. In the notes on the label it confirms that it complies with BS 6580.2010 .  My maintenance TR notes show that the antifreeze was new four years ago. This must be out of date because I have similar worries about Antifreeze every winter.

I am tempted to flush out the existing radiator and refill with clean rainwater and my litre of Comma  super.

Please let me have some advice..

Thanks Richard & B.

Hmmm!, got me thinking now. Mine was first filled in 2020, but I had that episode after I changed the heater valve when I inadvertently topped the rad back up with ready diluted windscreen washer fluid, ( in my defence it was the same blue colour). Since then through this summer I have topped it up a few times with the proper anti freeze mix. Of course it is not just the anti freeze properties than can weaken over time but also the anti corrosion additives too. Think I may drain and re-fill mine this weekend.

Ralph.

Guys - just to be clear, if the antifreeze is unused and still in it's container, are you saying the anti corrosion qualities will still diminish over time - I'm just helping to clear out an elderly neighbours garage and there are some cans/bottles of antifreeze - if it's still likely to be useable, I won't take it to the tip for recycling.

Similarly, there is also a nearly full 5 litres of good old Castrol GTX, and some smaller tins  - does this go off over time? If so, I'll use it as chain oil on my chainsaw! 

Cheers Rich