Gunson's Multitest Digital Automotive Multimeter

Help needed

Have been given a Gunsons Multitest meter. It has red green and black crocodile clip connectors and a plug lead clamp. It is black with a digital display. Possible model number G4142. On left of dial it measures rpm, dwell angle for 4, 5, 6 and 8 cylinder engines. It can measure amps resistance and volts. The green lead has an in-line fuse which I think is 15A. On the back is a label 0693.

Problem is that there are no instructions and a trawl on Google has come up with nothing apart from the possible model number.

Does anyone have one of these with instructions or know how to use this particular meter

Keith

Edited by keith1948

Hi Roger

You have just found where I got the possible model number from. I have a Gunsons analogue meter (Gunsons Testune) that seems to do similar measurements. That has red, green, blue and black leads and I have the instruction booklet for that. It also has the dwell angle info for various cars including Triumph.

The meter I have been given is a digital automotive multimeter so a later model than my analogue meter but with just 3 coloured leads and the plug lead clamp.

Keith

Normally red is live and black earth, the plug ht lead connector is obvious. The green I believe is for reading dwell angle, connected at the coil from the points. 

Gareth

4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

The green I believe is for reading dwell angle

I wonder why it needs the 15 Amp fuse though.

Also the switch has a position marked "100 Amps" (1 o'clock)

Really???

Wouldn't the test leads glow a bit?

Just checked the leads and discovered that the red lead wasn't soldered to circuit board (why it wasn't working) so fixed that and now red and black seem to be ok for volts.  I think perhaps the red connects to CB-ve on coil and black to earth for dwell angle as for the analogue Testune. I'm guessing the clamp for the plug lead is for rpm and maybe black to earth. Haven't tried it on the car yet though. 

The analogue Gunsons Testune I have uses a shunt for measuring high current but like Charlie I think 100 amps is a bit high. Can't see me measuring that but would use the 100A setting for current above 10A eg 30 to 40 amp. The fuse must be to protect meter against high current so suggests green is to measure current.

I tried the company that now sells the Gunsons range but when they took over Gunsons they did not get all the manuals etc for earlier stuff so were unable to find a manual for this particular model. I can't locate one on the internet either. So this is where the forum is invaluable.

Thanks all

Keith

None of those clip leads look suitable for anything like 100A.  Perhaps that is what the red clamp is for ?  It's obviously a split ferrite core so it might be a hall effect sensor. 

Hi Roger

Gunsons have been taken over by another company called Tool Connection. When they took over they got lots of info etc from Gunsons but not everything. The instructions manual for this meter was one of those things missing during the handover. I have been in touch with Tool Connection and they have sent me some info for different meters which, although interesting, has not been that useful.

In the meantime I shall go with Bob's help and see what happens. Worst would be blowing the meter circuit board  I guess.

Keith