The theme is Corporate Greed This week on BBC Sounds

A couple of excellent plays on BBC Sounds with factual content.   The common theme seems to be corporate greed.

Plane Speaking  The case of the B737 Max  - a single episode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kprf

and

Gift    DNA testing and the ancestry research business - a series of 5 episodes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qdm5?at_mid=6sYO52D95U&at_campaign=The_Gift_Fraud&at_medium=display_ad&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_origin=promo_box&at_audience_id=TV&at_product=sounds&at_brand=p0gd2dgb&at_ptr_name=bbc&at_ptr_type=media&at_format=image&at_objective=consumption&at_link_title=The_Gift_Fraud&at_bbc_team=BBC

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks for that posting Peter!

I recently watched this documentary on Amazon Video on the B737Max and will never fly one now!

My late father was an airplane designed at Lockheed Skunk Works so by osmosis I learned a bit from him I guess that was helpful in watching it.

3 hours ago, Steve-B said:

My late father was an airplane designed at Lockheed Skunk Works so by osmosis I learned a bit from him I guess that was helpful in watching it.

SR71/A12  designer by any chance?

Stuart.

6 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

A couple of excellent plays on BBC Sounds with factual content.   The common theme seems to be corporate greed.

Plane Speaking  The case of the B737 Max  - a single episode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001kprf

and

Gift    DNA testing and the ancestry research business - a series of 5 episodes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001qdm5?at_mid=6sYO52D95U&at_campaign=The_Gift_Fraud&at_medium=display_ad&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_origin=promo_box&at_audience_id=TV&at_product=sounds&at_brand=p0gd2dgb&at_ptr_name=bbc&at_ptr_type=media&at_format=image&at_objective=consumption&at_link_title=The_Gift_Fraud&at_bbc_team=BBC

The DNA podcast was very revealing……in how unreliable the tests are for anything other than family history. With the exception of dementia the chances of the test forecasting your future health/ disease appeared to be negligible to non existent…but a great money earner!

4 hours ago, stuart said:

SR71/A12  designer by any chance?

Stuart.

Yep. Dad started at Convair on the B-58 then Kelly Johnson grabbed him for A12 later SR-71. He also worked on the escape capsule of the F-111. I love getting to Duxford and seeing several of his creations. I recall him being away for days & weeks at a time, later on we learned why. To me the most amazing part is they were designing with slide rules. 

Interesting chart just posted by the SR-71 instagram account below. There’s a couple of men I had the pleasure to work with back in the 80’s in Mohave &/or Edwards air fields 

Turns out the 71’s missions could be so quick given it’s speed it was hard to rack up hundreds of hours flying them!

IMG_3678.jpeg

Lucky boy!!

Makes my dad's jobs of blacksmiths apprentice, 22 years in the Royal navy and building nuclear reactors seem dull

Hey ho

22 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Lucky boy!!

Makes my dad's jobs of blacksmiths apprentice, 22 years in the Royal navy and building nuclear reactors seem dull

Hey ho

Hi John,

I didn't know the nuclear building boys had blacksmiths.

Next you'll be telling us they were thatched.   :P

Roger

12 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Next you'll be telling us they were thatched. 

" ....There’s trouble up at t' reactor m'Lady.  One of t' control rods 'as gone askew in’t moderator.... "

trbl.jpg.0f50fde5316eee5f00cdd5657539b66e.jpg

Edited by RobH
On 10/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, Steve-B said:

Interesting chart just posted by the SR-71 instagram account below. There’s a couple of men I had the pleasure to work with back in the 80’s in Mohave &/or Edwards air fields 

Turns out the 71’s missions could be so quick given it’s speed it was hard to rack up hundreds of hours flying them!

IMG_3678.jpeg

I follow an account on Twitter that catalogues a lot of information on the those planes, I’ve always been fascinated by them. Also interesting that your Dad was involved in the B58 design, another amazing (For the time) plane 

Stuart

5 hours ago, stuart said:

I follow an account on Twitter that catalogues a lot of information on the those planes, I’ve always been fascinated by them. Also interesting that your Dad was involved in the B58 design, another amazing (For the time) plane 

Stuart

It’s also Dad’s fault he got me addicted to Triumph cars ;) Stuart 

@stuartI came across this today about the B-58 and thought of you. Of particular note, Dad worked on the nuclear bomb payload (the rather large silver thing under the fuselage, suitable for ULEZ cameras)...

F8E1C60D-9B44-45B2-8F45-EE6EB9504ABC_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aa3d47e0154d0c1b6361f9ce663f62af.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

@stuartI came across this today about the B-58 and thought of you. Of particular note, Dad worked on the nuclear bomb payload (the rather large silver thing under the fuselage, suitable for ULEZ cameras)...

F8E1C60D-9B44-45B2-8F45-EE6EB9504ABC_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aa3d47e0154d0c1b6361f9ce663f62af.jpeg

IIRC also fitted with a crew ejection capsule which caused some controversy by using a bear to test ejection at Mach speeds (It survived and became the first living being to survive an ejection at supersonic speeds)

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

IIRC also fitted with a crew ejection capsule which caused some controversy by using a bear to test ejection at Mach speeds (It survived and became the first living being to survive an ejection at supersonic speeds)

Stuart.

Dad witnessed the ejector seat trials which were done in a hangar at Convair. They had a rocket motor on the bottom of the seat mounted on a vertical track. The reason they used bears was due to their spines being remarkably similar to humans. The learnings he and team had then benefited the design he did leading the team for the F-111 escape pod...

• 3 weeks later...