TR6 to TR8??

Hi all.

These might sound like daft questions but I'll ask anyway. 

I own a lovely 1973 TR6, but my wife won't accompany me in it as she say's it's too close to the ground and she feels unsafe in it.  My options are to live with the status quo or find something else that she might feel more comfortable in. 

I've looked around at different options but haven't yet seen anything that fits the bill, but then I thought of the TR8.  I've never been a fan of the TR7 shape or the 4-cylinder engine, but a nicely setup TR8 is kind of appealing and the V8 exhaust note is hard to beat.

So my questions are, would I regret changing from the TR6 and would it feel 'safer' to my passenger?

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6
grammar

Hi Gavin
the TR7 is a different car altogether from the TR6, and feels and drives more like a modern car, however "feeling safe" is more subjective. Relative to modern cars they are still small and can feel dwarfed on the road by todays vehicles. The best way forward would be, if possible, to try out a TR8 with your wife before you buy one.
If all else fails, and you like the V8, a Stag might do the job.
Ian

Hi Gavin, 

great question, and one I have been starting to think about for the future.

As Ian says you will need to get access to a 7/8 to try, from your wife's perspective, 

Personally, and I have driven all the TR's plus Stag, I think the Stag is more of  a grand tourer than a sportscar, and drives that way. The TR 7, (My eldest had one at college for two years) and I was amazed at how well it drove, cornered like it was on rails, and undoubtedly the safest TR ever built, designed in the Ralf Nader days in the USA, double side impact bars in the doors etc., 

If your good lady can live with the high sills on access, explain they are for safety, then my choice would be the seven v8, great value for money, and maybe would you keep you also TR'ing a few tears longer than might otherwise be the case.

John.

I think your wife may have 2 issues. (1) the car being old she thinks it is no longer safe? in todays environment (2) they are low down and with the number of 4 wheel drive type cars and the size of lorries that will come alongside she is worried about the overall size. You could let her see an MX5 as a modern car which is of equal size, this may ease her worry. Failing that as above comments, try a different TR/Stag.

Thanks for your thoughts gents.

The main issues for my wife are the low seating and narrow compartment width in the 6.  From what I've viewed so far, the 7/8 seating is similar to a sedan which would be more to her liking.  The other more practical benefits from my perspective are the monocoque construction, 5-speed gearbox, solid rear axle and of course the V8 engine.  On the negative side are the shape (they're definitely never going to look as good as the 6) and the tacky plastic dash.  However, power steering would be nice (if I can find one with it) and a set of 15" Minilite wheels would make the world of difference to the car's appearance.

With regard to the Stag, it's not really sporty enough for my liking and I've never taken to the shape.  It looks too much like a modified sedan.

On 10/10/2023 at 2:57 AM, KiwiTR6 said:

Hi all.

These might sound like daft questions but I'll ask anyway. 

I own a lovely 1973 TR6, but my wife won't accompany me in it as she say's it's too close to the ground and she feels unsafe in it.  My options are to live with the status quo or find something else that she might feel more comfortable in. 

I've looked around at different options but haven't yet seen anything that fits the bill, but then I thought of the TR8.  I've never been a fan of the TR7 shape or the 4-cylinder engine, but a nicely setup TR8 is kind of appealing and the V8 exhaust note is hard to beat.

So my questions are, would I regret changing from the TR6 and would it feel 'safer' to my passenger?

Gavin

I have the same domestic issue.  My TR3 is definitely low and cramped compared to a TR7/8.