Printer Problems/ Replacement?

So, have an Epson XP 235 printer at home, hardly state of the art, I know, but it does all I need.

Youngest upgraded my desktop to Windows 11 this summer, I wish he would stop telling me how easy stuff is, but hey ho.

Now problem I now have is that when the printer needs new ink, (It runs four cartridges) the computer doesn't tell me which one to change, the old Windows 7 did.

Any thoughts, and if this is unsolvable, any recommendations for a replacement printer, it really does not do that much work?

Cheers

John.

John, if the printer is reachable on your home network, try opening a browser to the IP address, e.g., "http://127.0.0.2" (change as needed) and you might be able to see from the admin interface which one it is.

I got fed up with inks drying out due to lack of use so bought a cheap laser printer instead.  The colours aren't as good but since I don't print photos on it that doesn't matter.  Toner cartridges last years and never dry out. 

Edited by RobH

I have an XP245 Epson which was as cheap as you could get when I bought it about 5 years ago. It gets very little use and I buy the non Epson cartridges. Because it so little use, as and when it turns up its toes I’ll probably replace it with the current cheapest Epson.

But I would pick up on Rob’s suggestions to try a different driver or connect to it directly to read the supply levels first. 
Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

I wonder if you can still do a “Test print” page even though one cartridge may be empty.

Such a page may well tell you the cartridge status of each one.

“Test print” pages are often (?) activated by keeping one or more of the printer buttons pressed down and then pressing the “Power on” button.

All done off line, with no connection to the computer/network.

I agree with the laser printer idea.

I have an HP 1200 (Black and white) that I got for 99 pence from ebay 10 years ago. A couple of cartridge changes and still works perfectly.

Do you really need colour?

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D

We have a Cannon printer 3020 which doesn't use cartridges, it has containers which we top up  with ink when needed which is a lot cheaper than cartridges, the bloke in PC World said it was the way to go, had it a couple of years with no problems..

Phil...

35 minutes ago, lynchpin said:

We have a Cannon printer 3020 which doesn't use cartridges, it has containers which we top up  with ink when needed which is a lot cheaper than cartridges, the bloke in PC World said it was the way to go, had it a couple of years with no problems..

Phil...

As far as I can tell, no longer available in this country.

Stuart.