Recently fitted a new set of NGK BP6HS. One failed almost immediately with a broken ceramic shroud around centre electrode. Previous set lasted 15000miles and made in Japan. This latest set made in Thailand. Rimmer have replaced one only. Anyone else experiencing problems with NGK? They used to be high quality and some thought better than Champion. Thinking of returning to Champion. 

46 minutes ago, richaras said:

Recently fitted a new set of NGK BP6HS. One failed almost immediately with a broken ceramic shroud around centre electrode. Previous set lasted 15000miles and made in Japan. This latest set made in Thailand. Rimmer have replaced one only. Anyone else experiencing problems with NGK? They used to be high quality and some thought better than Champion. Thinking of returning to Champion. 

Buy from here with no problem https://www.gsparkplug.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyNSoBhA9EiwA5aYlbwM90aI1DWGJvqV6Eu2KRvu2LRuzmQR5TOWlN79NpCdH39XxrpF1AhoCnawQAvD_BwE

There is a lot of fake NGK around and I expect thats what you may well have inadvertently ended up with.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Well I have on my bench a brand new box of NGK plugs and they’re made in Japan. Supplied by my local motor factors, genuine NGK are made in Japan 

Stuart 

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5950.jpeg

If you Google 'how to spot fake NGK plugs' you will find a lot of useful information. NGK traditionally made in Japan but I have read they do have a factory in Thailand. The one you had that was broken may be genuine and just have been damaged when you bought or fitted it. On the other hand it may have been a fake. There is a lot of info on how to tell a fake plug. The boxes are not the same and the writing and stamping on the plugs are different. Just because it came from Rimmers doesn't mean they are immune from fakes. The fakes are widespread unfortunately.

I bought some NGK plugs for a MK4 Fiesta not long ago from Halfords and their supplies came from somewhere in Europe. I checked the boxes and plugs and they appeared to be the genuine article.

Modern times I'm afraid

Keith

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Buy from here with no problem https://www.gsparkplug.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyNSoBhA9EiwA5aYlbwM90aI1DWGJvqV6Eu2KRvu2LRuzmQR5TOWlN79NpCdH39XxrpF1AhoCnawQAvD_BwE

There is a lot of fake NGK around and I expect thats what you may well have inadvertently ended up with.

Stuart.

I have recently purchased (for my boat engine) some spark plugs from Spark Plugs.co.uk

Very helpful people, & definitely do not obtain their stock from anyone other than the original makers or their distributors.

Would highly recommend.

Bob

I have previously purchased NGK plugs, from reliable sources, that were not made in Japan so I asked the manufacture the question, and they have replied as follows:

”Niterra (formally known as NGK Spark Plugs) have for decades had manufacturing sites based all over the globe. The same quality standards that the company has built its reputation on apply across all plants, irrespective of manufacturing site, be it Japan, Thailand, France, India, Brazil, etc... We can assure you that BP6HS has indeed been manufactured at our plant in Thailand.”

They also advised me that they have an article (available in the first few pages of their classic downloadable catalogue -https://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk/assets/Uploads/Classic_May2022-ver3.pdf)
that may be useful to classic car owners.

Regards

Rog

• 4 months later...

Rimmer supplied replacement FOC (for one with broken shroud) but still misfiring with new set NGK (MIT). Rimmer and NGK swear that plugs are genuine NGK. Put old set (done at least 10k miles) NGK (MIJ) back in, guess what, no misfiring. Rimmer have replaced all 4 plugs now but with NGK (MIT). I think I'll try just replacing one old MIJ with one new MIT and test to see if I can  identify which of the new MIT is faulty. Can they be all bad?