TR2 rear wheel bearing exchange

Is there anything I need to know when exchanging the rear wheel bearings on my TR2 ?

Do I have to remove the brakes/open the brake fluid system ?

Any advise welcome.

Cheers

Oliver

9 hours ago, Moliver said:

Is there anything I need to know when exchanging the rear wheel bearings on my TR2 ?

Do I have to remove the brakes/open the brake fluid system ?

Any advise welcome.

Cheers

Oliver

No. The brake hydraulic system can stay sealed.  You do need to remove the entire half shaft / axle shaft to extract or press off the old bearing and fit new. The whole assembly comes out once the 4 bearing housing bots are removed. The challenge can be getting off the locking collet/taper collar that secures the hub to the shaft    I have used pul push technique in the past   Pull a bit. Push back on pull again and so on to ease the taper collar offI the axle shaft.  I seem to remember you have wire wheel hubs so the split pin removal is also fiddly.  

Oliver, I did this job 2 or 3 years ago.  You will find the Workshop Manual very useful when doing this job. Please use a press when getting the bearings out!

If you do a search on this Forum ‘hub bearings’ there is a lot of useful information.

The worst part is at the end when you have to set up the 0.005 end float of the two axle shafts. I have some shims left over if you need some, just send me a PM.

james

I've have a Lockheed axle on my June 56 TR3.  I replaced the bearings with shielded brgs (removed the shield that faces the brake drum), fitted new seals and most importantly a shaft repair sleeve (this gave the seal something to bear against) since then no oil has made its way into the braking system.  Also, make sure the axle breather is clear so that as the axle warms up it can vent to atmosphere.  I've done 000's of miles all over Europe with this arrangement and no issues since (but that has probably now jinxed it). 

I recall sending someone on this forum the part nos of what I installed - can have a look if you are interested?

7 minutes ago, Mr Blue Sky said:

I've have a Lockheed axle on my June 56 TR3.  I replaced the bearings with shielded brgs (removed the shield that faces the brake drum), fitted new seals and most importantly a shaft repair sleeve (this gave the seal something to bear against) since then no oil has made its way into the braking system.  Also, make sure the axle breather is clear so that as the axle warms up it can vent to atmosphere.  I've done 000's of miles all over Europe with this arrangement and no issues since (but that has probably now jinxed it). 

I recall sending someone on this forum the part nos of what I installed - can have a look if you are interested?

Ignore the bit where I said "remove the shield facing the drum" - it was the other way around, wanted oil to reach the bearings but not the drum.  Just checked my notes.