Seat belt buckle

In 1962, the Works' TR4 Rally cars were equipped with a licensed copy of the Volvo belt, which Peter Wigglesworth tells me was used on the Volvo 120 Amazon from 1955 to 1965.

4VC is the only one of the four Powder Blue cars still with its Widney belts, the other 3 cars having had their belts replaced with more modern kit.

I have a problem with the spring which sits inside the buckle, ensuring that the buckle remains locked onto the single yoke, which is mounted on the top of the prop shaft.

I am wondering whether anyone knows of a belt with such a buckle, and which is available.

Peter has found a pristine set held by the British Museum, but I don't think that the Museum would part with them!

Ian Cornish

IMG_6222-1280.jpg

IMG_6223-1280.jpg

IMG_2394 cropped-1280.jpg

Thanks, Stuart - I had noted SBS from your recommendation on the Forum some while ago, and I have contacted them already - they think they might be able to repair the buckle.  I won't be removing the belt until later in the year.

Thanks to the prompt from Peter, I have posted on the Volvo Forum (with these photos) in the hope that someone might have a couple of belts or buckles lying about.  Volvos are very long-lived beasts, so I might be lucky!

In addition, Peter and Roger have suggestions as to how they might be able to effect a repair.  Meanwhile, I have devised a temporary (but safe!) fix .

Ian Cornish

I have used this company around 40 years ago when they were Kenton seat belts. I forgot all about them till a mate ordered a set from this company.I was very impressed with the quality that I ordered a set from them  and a week later I received them. So much better in my opinion of the current ones available elsewhere.

As I say only my opinion.

Regards Harry

50 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

I have used this company around 40 years ago when they were Kenton seat belts. I forgot all about them till a mate ordered a set from this company.I was very impressed with the quality that I ordered a set from them  and a week later I received them. So much better in my opinion of the current ones available elsewhere.

As I say only my opinion.

Regards Harry

They made a cracking set for an Etype for me a few years ago too. They do some really nice stuff.

Stuart.

I have had a response from a fellow on the Volvo Forum, who has some belts and whom Andy Canning, a Volvo owner, rates highly.

Just waiting for an email from the Volvo man to see whether he has the belts &/or buckles which I need.

Thanks for the recommendations for SBS - it's likely I'll need them to put buckle into belt.

Ian Cornish

• 6 months later...

To conclude this narrative, I can report that the fellow on the Volvo forum (discovered through Andy Canning)  had no old belts with the buckle which I required, but the very resourceful and clever Roger Hogarth took my belt, removed the rivets and found - as we expected - that the steel spring had fractured.

Roger obtained some spring steel, cleaned off the flaking plating from the outside covers and had Bright Zinc coating applied (much cheaper than other plating).

As making tiny rivets didn't work, Roger used 3 chrome countersunk BA screws (I think he said 3BA), used nuts as spacers inside the buckle, then peened the ends of the screws to seal the buckle.

The result is a buckle that looks as good as new (better than the other one!) and means that the car can be driven once I complete the work on reinstating the cabin following the gearbox transplant (that's another story!).

I am very grateful to Roger for his efforts - how marvellous to have such a good and clever friend.

Ian Cornish

great to hear about, and see, a positive outcome. Well done Roger
Ian