TR6 Plenum chamber drain.

Hi Mike

It's connected to rubber hoses both sides which can be seen under the dash which then pass through the tub to empty in the front wing void . The water then flows down the side of the tub and out between the sill and bottom of the front wings - hence the rot that seems to occur there on mine at least. The water from the bonnet gully goes into the same void just to add to the rot potential!

Never had to remove the rubber pipes to clear but I suspect it's not easy given their location with the risk they fall into the void. Others may know a technique to do it.

If your wings are off or off in the future people fit rubber hose to either exit through the front splash guards or pass through the sills and out through the rear of the sill.

Spray some cavity wax in there to stop them rotting out at the lowest points as repairs are very involved ie dash out.

Andy 

Or if you want to put the drain in to come out of the splash guard take the splash guard off run a new length of hose having drilled a suitable size hole in the splash guard.all can be managed from the void area, use plenty of tyre grease on the pipe to ease fitting. clem 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm in the process of dash refurbishment, re-veneering a good used one, so am planning to take the seats out before my winter refurb project. I'll check the state of the plenum then.

This reminds me of the sunroof drains on an early BWW 320, which ended up inside the cill cavity, which I rerouted through the floor.

Do manufacturers still go for 'planned obsolescence" in this manner?, maybe nowadays it's more geared to electronic systems than good old rust!

Cheers

Mike

23 minutes ago, mattyb said:

Rubber hose plenum outlet top right of picture - resulting rust bottom of picture.......

102_1122.JPG

Thats not bad, theyre often like this!

Stuart.

Marks TR5 169.jpg

Tonys TR6 102.jpg

Mike,

this what I did when I had my wings off for repair. I used a empty silicon tube, cut down, and cut a good bit of the nozzle off and 12mm rubber tube. It exits through a grommet on the splash guard.

Vince.

IMG_1427.thumb.JPG.d28eb4f933de7b31d8c8b5e67815ade4.JPG

Edited by DIYBOSSCAT
3 hours ago, DIYBOSSCAT said:

Mike,

this what I did when I had my wings off for repair. I used a empty silicon tube, cut down, and cut a good bit of the nozzle off and 12mm rubber tube. It exits through a grommet on the splash guard.

Vince.

IMG_1427.thumb.JPG.d28eb4f933de7b31d8c8b5e67815ade4.JPG

Thanks for posting Vince.

Edited by paul83