Gear box oil compatibility

Both GL5 - not recommended for TR boxes. GL4 is the recommended stuff ( there is disagreement about this however ). You shouldn't use hypoid oil in a gearbox either, it's too slippery and the operation of the synchromesh will be affected. That is for hypoid back axles. 

Edited by RobH
52 minutes ago, RobH said:

Both GL5 - not recommended for TR boxes. GL4 is the recommended stuff ( there is disagreement about this however ). You shouldn't use hypoid oil in a gearbox either, it's too slippery and the operation of the synchromesh will be affected. That is for hypoid back axles. 

Unfortunately, according to the receipts, that's what's in there.....would you recommend I change it?

Clive

Personally I would drain and re-fill with plain gearbox oil ( I use Penrite GB 40) but that is just my opinion.....others may differ. 

Hi Clive,

I would also drain, then fill with something a little better.

I use  Penrite GB40 and it works well.

Others use EP 80/90  but I would not.

Try and get a GL4 spec oil

There is lots of controversy about the best oil to use  But if you go as above you will not be far wrong.

Roger

40 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Clive,

I would also drain, then fill with something a little better.

I use  Penrite GB40 and it works well.

Others use EP 80/90  but I would not.

Try and get a GL4 spec oil

There is lots of controversy about the best oil to use  But if you go as above you will not be far wrong.

Roger

Thanks Roger

Hi Clive,

Like others here, I'm running GB40 in my o/d 3A box as well.

Here are two notes from the original TR factory service manual :

Lubrication: With an overdrive fitted it is inadvisable to use hypoid gear oils as these may be detrimental to the operation of the unit.

Draining: There is a drain plug fitted to the overdrive unit, and when draining the gearbox it is necessary to remove both the drain plug on the gearbox and the drain plug on the overdrive unit.

Incidentally, if you don't already have a copy, consider bagging yourself a TR Service Instruction Manual for the glovebox. Definitely a worthwhile investment (as well as a good read), with original copies readily available on eBay for around thirty pounds.

Note that later editions will state on the cover "Incorporating Supplement for TR3 Model", as below.

TRservMan1.thumb.jpg.d8c5639dadc818386a561f86cb2d1350.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

Hi Clive,

Like others here, I'm running GB40 in my o/d 3A box as well.

Here are two notes from the original TR factory service manual :

Lubrication: With an overdrive fitted it is inadvisable to use hypoid gear oils as these may be detrimental to the operation of the unit.

Draining: There is a drain plug fitted to the overdrive unit, and when draining the gearbox it is necessary to remove both the drain plug on the gearbox and the drain plug on the overdrive unit.

Incidentally, if you don't already have a copy, consider bagging yourself a TR Service Instruction Manual for the glovebox. Definitely a worthwhile investment (as well as a good read), with original copies readily available on eBay for around thirty pounds.

Note that later editions will state on the cover "Incorporating Supplement for TR3 Model", as below.

TRservMan1.thumb.jpg.d8c5639dadc818386a561f86cb2d1350.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Thanks Diggers

Unless you want a mess on the floor, don't try to put all 2 litres in straight away - it takes quite a while to ooze its way to the overdrive.

Put about 1.5 litres in, go for a drive, making sure you use the overdrive, leave the car to cool down, then top up - but slowly!

Ian Cornish