Looking at a TR6 Nr Cranbrook.

The eBay seller is not in the TR Register or if he is he hasn't sent in any details, not unusual nowadays I would add. According to our records OFE 203K was last in the TRR  back in January 1997 needing a full restoration, it was Saffron at the time. Since then I have spotted it on eBay in November 2012 & October 2017, November 2017 at Godin Sports Cars, on eBay in August 2020 & July 2021, February 2023 at MH Car sales in Oxford, Hagerty in July 23 and now eBay since August.

Best of luck David, VWK 828J in the classifieds looks like a bargain to me and I can only assume that it won't be around for long at that asking price, hopefully someone on here will have a look at it for you if you can't get to see it yourself.

Derek

You can't see as much detail including panel gaps on the classified one from its photos, but I think the price would reflect the overall condition, so I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near perfect either. Certainly a viewing is in order. That way you can get a feel for the car and general appearance as well as mechanical, chassis etc. 

At shows I've seen so many cars with poor panel gaps, there are a lot out there! Mine wasn't too good one one side, some adjustment of the door/ rear wing and chassis has corrected it. The ebay one looks like the door is secured at an angle which could be brought back in line closing the rear gap a tad, other things might be required, and I'd want to get underneath and check the chassis wasn't corroded and the cause of it. 

At the end of the day you have your budget and have to compromise on things, so it comes down to what you can improve, what you can live with and what you simply must walk away from. 

I think the more you can look at the better, you'll find one that isn't perfect but you can live with and improve and make your own. 

Good luck with your quest and hopefully you'll end up with a car you can be proud of and enjoy. 

Gareth

I might be wrong, but you will have  not only one worry less if you not buy a PI TR6.

If it‘s part of a small car collection, this was assumed before, it very likely is the worst of all 3.

For me the car is dusty inside and under the bonnet, I got not much love and attention the last years.

Ciao, Marco 

16 hours ago, saffrontr said:

The eBay seller is not in the TR Register or if he is he hasn't sent in any details, not unusual nowadays I would add. According to our records OFE 203K was last in the TRR  back in January 1997 needing a full restoration, it was Saffron at the time. Since then I have spotted it on eBay in November 2012 & October 2017, November 2017 at Godin Sports Cars, on eBay in August 2020 & July 2021, February 2023 at MH Car sales in Oxford, Hagerty in July 23 and now eBay since August.

Best of luck David, VWK 828J in the classifieds looks like a bargain to me and I can only assume that it won't be around for long at that asking price, hopefully someone on here will have a look at it for you if you can't get to see it yourself.

Derek

Hi Derek 

Thank you so much for the comprehensive piece of research. It’s kind of what I was hoping for when posting. It definitely seems to have done the rounds a bit which is always a worry, especially the most recent sales or offers for sale!! pity really as I’m looking for something that I can fettle but which has a good base etc. I’ll prob take a look and be super critical.

Yes VWK 828J does look the part and understandably the owner has had a lot of interest, he has had a fellow TRR member give him some advise on pricing (still in my budget) but he has someone coming from Cheshire today (Tuesday) and has agreed to give them first refusal. Annoying but understandable so I hope to be able to look it over if that does not come off. 

David 

Just now, David Peel said:

Hi Derek 

Thank you so much for the comprehensive piece of research. It’s kind of what I was hoping for when posting. It definitely seems to have done the rounds a bit which is always a worry, especially the most recent sales or offers for sale!! pity really as I’m looking for something that I can fettle but which has a good base etc. I’ll prob take a look and be super critical.

Yes VWK 828J does look the part and understandably the owner has had a lot of interest, he has had a fellow TRR member give him some advise on pricing (still in my budget) but he has someone coming from Cheshire today (Tuesday) and has agreed to give them first refusal. Annoying but understandable so I hope to be able to look it over if that does not come off. 

David 

On 9/10/2023 at 11:55 PM, Malbaby said:

Mechanically it may be fine.

The worrying issue is the body condition, panel gaps etc....I would be embarrassed to drive that car with those panel gaps....The LHS is the worst...Chassis condition is also problematic....I cannot imagine why someone could leave the body in such condition.

Assuming all the mechanicals are sound, you would have to budget for another 10K plus to bring the body to a nice standard....Panel work on the doors and wings, plus a respray.

Bottom line....be prepared to spend a lot of money on restoration.

Thanks for the advice. Early days of looking so any pointers are helpful.