Ugrading lights all round on a TR2

I have recently acquired a TR2 earlyish longdoor that's pretty much in it's original condition. I found myself driving back from somewhere not too far from home in the week but now that the nights are drawing in I felt a bit vulnerable. Although all the lights work (well, actually the headlights seem to be permanently on dip and switch makes no difference which I need to investigate!) I'm just thinking that perhaps I should upgrade all round to something that would give better visibility for me and for others.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Peter

Welcome to the forums Peter.  No doubt there will be plenty of replies but If you do a google search using "TR register forum" as the first part of the search term you will find a number of older threads on this topic (e.g TR register forum led headlights). 

17 minutes ago, RobH said:

Welcome to the forums Peter.  No doubt there will be plenty of replies but If you do a google search using "TR register forum" as the first part of the search term you will find a number of older threads on this topic (e.g TR register forum led headlights). 

Thank you Rob - will do!

Swapping most of the bulbs for brighter LEDs is pretty easy except for the need to check polarity.  If your car is positive earth you need to ensure the bulbs are OK for that.  Has your car got the single rear brake light or the later double arrangement? 

The only real complication is the indicators where you would need to exchange the flasher unit for an LED compatible one. 

You can buy "dual filament' LED lamps which light orange for the indicators and white for sidelights  and it is useful to use these at the front where the lens is clear.  I think you are stuck with red for both at the rear though. DO NOT use white LED bulbs under coloured lenses because unlike ordinary bulbs they have little red light content and will look very dim. Use red bulbs under red lenses.

In the Lucas L471 rear light assembly the bulb mounts vertically. Unfortunately there are no commercial LED bulbs that will work properly in that orientation - most have the light beamed from the end not the side.  Luckily Bob "Lebro" on this forum makes suitable bulbs for this position. 

Edited by RobH

A point to note here,   Reproduction L471 lamps require the bulb to be inserted at the same angle as the later L549, but (& I only found this out when offering LED bulb upgrades to Phil to use on TS2) original L471 lamps have the bulb inserted horizontaly, which gave Phil something of a challenge when trying to fit The bulbs he was given (from "Bettercarlighting) I understand that he had to modify the lamp in order to fit them. (should have come to me 1st !!!)

2083393476_OriginalL471.jpg.06142e31fec522718bfad49ea542360f.jpg L471.thumb.JPG.f3e7b9d8bbbc3370049c5fa4a89bb9a7.JPG 45646417_L549.thumb.JPG.e20f8be667424432153eecb074a232d2.JPG

Original L471                              Repro L471                                     original & repro L549

Bob

3 minutes ago, 2long said:

He may have the L549 rather than the earliest version.  His car is “earlyish”, but only the “quite early” 2s had the L471.

Dan

I’ll check when I get back home next week - it was built on 26th May 1954 and registered on 4th June 54. 
Thanks for advice.

Peter

5 minutes ago, 2long said:

Well that is so cool, as mine was built the same week (May 54)!  Your TS number should be quite close to mine (TS 1911LO).  Yours will be L549.

Cheers

Dan

Mine is TS1896 - no lettering as not an Overdrive from start. Although the build record says it had the adjustable steering column which it doesn’t have now - I am wondering whether it really did have that spec originally - would be odd to have had it removed! Hey Ho. Such fun these beautiful old ‘proper’ cars!

Not surprising that the adjustable column got swapped out, as it jams the steering wheel a little too close to the driver, and for some reason the Blumels adjustable steering wheel wears out quicker than the standard one.  I wonder if my car could see yours 17 cars up ahead in the construction queue?!

I have just fitted a pair of LED H4 headlamp bulbs from Classic Car LEDs and they got their first test on a glorious run back to Frome from Goodwood yesterday evening. They clearly need a spot of adjustment as I had a few (only a very few) drivers coming the other way flashing their lights at me, but what an improvement. If I have any problem with them it is they are so bright that the reflection off some road signs can almost be blinding. And very clear fitting instructions included with the package. 

Rgds Ian

13 hours ago, 2long said:

Not surprising that the adjustable column got swapped out, as it jams the steering wheel a little too close to the driver, and for some reason the Blumels adjustable steering wheel wears out quicker than the standard one.  I wonder if my car could see yours 17 cars up ahead in the construction queue?!

I think surely 15 cars ahead, so not quite so far! Perhaps they'd like to meet up again - mine is in Somerset, where is yours?

Have recently fitted Bob “Lebrocq” LED rear lights…..I can report they are excellent!

I am now considering fitting the white/amber front side indicator LED lights. Several questions,

1. If I fit just the front leaving rear as standard will the current standard flasher unit work

2. If I fit the above plus rear LED bulbs I will have to fit an electronic flasher. Is the electronic flasher a direct replacement for the standard one. I find electrics a bit mystifying and much prefer swapping one wire for another rather than modifying to get things to work.

I would intend to use ClassiccarLED as in the past their service has been excellent.

17 minutes ago, TR Rob said:

If I fit just the front leaving rear as standard will the current standard flasher unit work

No it won't. The standard flasher unit needs 4 x bulb current to make it work. You will need an LED compatible one. It is a direct replacement though some need an additional earth connection.  ClassiccarLED  have one:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

Edited by RobH
14 hours ago, 2long said:

Dan,

I think I lost the thread here! So, perhaps they'd like to meet up again - mine is in Somerset, where is yours?

Peter

27 minutes ago, RobH said:

No it won't. The standard flasher unit needs 4 x bulb current to make it work. You will need an LED compatible one. It is a direct replacement though some need an additional earth connection.  ClassiccarLED  have one:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

Yep, that's the one.  The pin out is the same as original but there is an additional earth wire to connect.

If originality is required, the internals can be fitted inside an old metal can type casing (I have done several)

Bob

1 hour ago, TR Rob said:

Have recently fitted Bob “Lebrocq” LED rear lights…..I can report they are excellent!

I am now considering fitting the white/amber front side indicator LED lights. Several questions,

1. If I fit just the front leaving rear as standard will the current standard flasher unit work.

Yes it will, that is what I have done. LED sidelights/indicators at the front and incandescent bulbs at the rear and a regular canister flasher unit. Everything works as it should. 

Rgds Ian

oh and Bob’s brake / rear lights 

OK, I think it rather depends on a couple of things.

1) the actual wattage of the LED bulbs

2) the characteristics of the actual old style flasher unit used

You may be lucky & it all works fine, but usually the flash rate increases considerably with a lower load on the unit.

This is deliberate so that it is a warning that one of the (old type) bulbs has blown.

One work around is to connect a resistor (approx 10 ohms @ 20 watt) across the bulbs (one on left side wiring, one on the right side wiring)

to fool the flasher unit.   Much easier to fit the LED compatible one, which will give a stable flash rate no matter what load it sees.

Bob

You can in theory fit LED headlamp bulbs to a pre 1968 car I think, but the beam pattern may well be off. Best fit complete new reflectors designed for LED.

25 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

Yes it will, that is what I have done.

As Bob says - the flash rate will be wrong because the bimetallic flasher units are designed for 2 x 21W  drawn.     You are lucky that they work at all - that probably depends on the tolerance of the particular flasher unit. 

Using resistors works but is a bodge which negates the lower current benefit of LEDs. 

Edited by RobH

2 minutes ago, TimG said:

You can in theory fit LED headlamp bulbs to a pre 1968 car I think, but the beam pattern may well be off. Best fit complete new reflectors designed for LED.

Good idea to fit modern (relatively !) lamp units with H4 bulb fittings. They don't have to be specificaly for LED bulbs, Ones designed for halogen bulbs work fine with decent LED bulbs. (Thats what I have (lamp units are Valeo) & the beam pattern is pretty much identical to with halogen type fitted.

These are what I have :

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615

Bob