Another Idea for Toby

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Market them with ’dynamic’ or ‘ultra’ in the wording and you can add 1000% to the buying price……..

Right.  Work in "AI" somehow, and another 1000%.

Ed

22 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

Toby, 

I took an old set of rear drop links, cut the ball end off then threaded the rod. Put a tie rod on that had the appropriate taper.  I am in the US and bought the rod ends from RockAuto, $6 

IMG_1618-compressed.jpeg

Nice idea, CK, and thanks. So you're running these shorter than original?

As it happens after having fitted considerably lower/stiffer rear springs my Armstrongs are leaking oil (entirely upset by the new springs no doubt), so they need to come out and so the drop links too.

Kind Regards

Toby

Some years ago, I came up with a very similar design (great minds!), and was about to fabricate a set.   I posted about it on the 6-Pack forum here in the US, and someone provided a link to these from Rimmer Bros:   Uprated Rear shock Absorber Link

image.png.c08a548456ebf6fe82bb4a227a13bcb9.png

I actually didn't purchase the Rimmer Bros set, and instead went with these from Good Parts.  I was one of the first to install them, and was initially concerned that they may be a little harsh, given they do not use rubber or poly bushes where they attach to the trailing arm, but this is not the case. 

I have had them installed for 7+ years, and still going strong.

Good Parts Shock Link Set

image.png.295b89cc29419d167244da2107bb62a6.png

On the other hand...they did cost a bunch more than CK's solution - I'm always a fan of fabbing stuff re-using existing parts.

Edited by A Brit in Bama

Great idea!

I failed with that years ago (and went another way), 

because the cone on the TR steering tie rods are about 2 mm too wide to fit in my shock absorber levers.

So please, could you tell us how you got this fitted?

Ciao, Marco 

AIL4fc88M9LCBDjeYdJ8q30hgFzrmhQaqeUP9woB

Edited by Z320
edit: photo added
On 9/3/2023 at 6:22 PM, CK's TR6 said:

Toby, I took an old set of rear drop links, cut the ball end off then threaded the rod. Put a tie rod on that had the appropriate taper.  I am in the US and bought the rod ends from RockAuto, $6.

IMG_1618-compressed.jpeg

Sorry just couldn't be read before. Nice idea. 

Gareth

measured the taper with digital caliper. went through the whole Moog catalog of tie rod ends to find a tie rod with 1. a taper within thousands of an inch 2. geometric configuration that would work 3. internal thread that was close to the outside diameter of the link (I didn't want to go find a metal lathe) 4. was short enough to fit in the vertical length. 

Therefore, not a TR rod end, and I have no idea what the application is. 

You might be surprised at the number and configuration of tie rod ends, probably at least 500 or so.

Edited by CK's TR6

Harry, 

making the cones on a lathe is far beyond the point what most IRS owners can do.

To buy a pair of tie rod ends, cut the bolt off the original links and cut a M12 fine thread on is much easier.

The part arrived today and on the first look it fits perfectly!

A closer has to wait until Saturday.

Ciao, Marco