Classic Car Hire in California

I'm planning a few excursions before heading off for a bucket list tour of the western United States.

One ambition is to hire an early Ford Mustang for a day's fun on the Pacific Coast Highway.... The Mustang is really the only American car I've ever fancied owning.

Has anyone here tried classic car hire in California? I will be staying in Santa Monica for a few days and would like to find a reliable classic car hire business in that area.

It's a long shot, but I would be grateful for any relevant experience forumites can offer.

Nigel

16 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I'm planning a few excursions before heading off for a bucket list tour of the western United States.

One ambition is to hire an early Ford Mustang for a day's fun on the Pacific Coast Highway.... The Mustang is really the only American car I've ever fancied owning.

Has anyone here tried classic car hire in California? I will be staying in Santa Monica for a few days and would like to find a reliable classic car hire business in that area.

It's a long shot, but I would be grateful for any relevant experience forumites can offer.

Nigel

I've always fancied a 69 Dodge Charger !!

The PCH is an incredible drive.

A few years back, some friends and I flew out to Chicago, hired a Mustang, and drove west across America to California.

We headed through Texas, up to Telluride, Colorado, the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and finally across to the Napa Valley. The last three days were spent cruising south, down the Pacific Coast Highway, which turned into one of the best drives of the whole trip. Roof down, sea, sunshine and surf, rock hits on the radio!  :)

I can't give you any personal recommendations, but a quick glance online brings up a few places near Santa Monica where classics are currently available, and it may at least give you an idea of the going rate for a 'Stang rental on the west coast.

Good luck!

1965 Mustang convertible : Monterey Classic Car Rentals

1965 Mustang GT convertible : Monterey Classic Car Rentals

1966 Mustang convertible : (available through Turo.com)

Various models : Classic Mustang Rentals

Deggers

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

The PCH is an incredible drive.

A few years back, some friends and I flew out to Chicago, hired a Mustang, and drove west across America to California.

We headed through Texas, up to Telluride, Colorado, the Grand Canyon, Lake Tahoe, and finally across to the Napa Valley. The last three days were spent cruising south, down the Pacific Coast Highway, which turned into one of the best drives of the whole trip. Roof down, sea, sunshine and surf, rock hits on the radio!  :)

I can't give you any personal recommendations, but a quick glance online brings up a few places near Santa Monica where classics are currently available, and it may at least give you an idea of the going rate for a 'Stang rental on the west coast.

Good luck!

1965 Mustang convertible : Monterey Classic Car Rentals

1965 Mustang GT convertible : Monterey Classic Car Rentals

1966 Mustang convertible : (available through Turo.com)

Various models : Classic Mustang Rentals

Deggers

Ouch, if you went for a month you might as well buy one and sell it at the end!

Stuart.

We definitely considered it, but finally decided on a late model red convertible. For a 4000 mile road trip, it was less thirsty than its 1965 predecessor. Not by much admittedly (with a 5 litre V8 and 400 horses under your right foot, it's hard to resist temptation!) but a lot better than 12mpg.  :D

Deggers

I've tried booking a '71 Mustang through the website Turo.

After signing up for 24 hours rental at $260, I completed all the necessary details but then, at checkout, $61 was added as a service charge and a further $140 for 'medium level' insurance cover.  So the cost nearly doubled at checkout,  what a pi$$ take! 

I cancelled the transaction and will try to book something locally while I'm on holiday. Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

We have been to Santa Monica quite a few times, I had always intended to hire an old US muscle car for a few days - there were a couple of places as you leave Venice on Lincoln Blvd. - however it has on each occasion turned out to be ridiculously expensive as you seem to have discovered, even when the exchange-rate was much more favourable! 

Personally, I’d suggest a regular rental company who usually offer some cracking deals on Mustangs and Camaros which can put a big grin on your face (although my wife hated the last 6.2l Camaro SS which she felt was too loud - I loved it). Don’t forget the rental desk itself is usually a great option to get a good deal if you catch them in a good mood, smile a lot and are extra-polite.

One small tip, if you are renting for multiple days and your hotel charges for overnight parking (it is often $30/40 per night)check if there is a car rental office in their lobby - if you rent by the day from (instead of the entire duration of the rental) then you wont have to pay as they give you a ticket to get out of the garage each time you rent (that could be the better part of $300 saved if you rent for a week) - the rates are usually the same as from the large sites for the likes of Hertz/Avis/Alamo/etc.

It is a great place, I’m sure you will have a tremendous time - have fun :) 

…….. Andy 

Edited by AndyR100