Is this because you have later calipers and discs?

Try fitting the mounting brackets you have with the later calipers.  It all bolts up OK but I think it moves the caliper to a position that requires the bigger earlier (TR3/3A)  disc to be fitted.

To check - Assemble with the discs, calipers + pads, and brackets you have and check the pads are contacting the disc fully.  You may get away with it.  

I think the racers used to fit the early mount bracket with 3 pot calipers from a Morris 1800S and TR3/3A discs. Reg Woodcock, Pete Cox et al would know.  

Peter W

In a word yes!

We have the later calipers and a set of pads. The old calipers are in a parlous state, and the original discs beyond recovery. 
The easy solution to the puzzle is to find these mounting plates and buy new disks which are at a reasonable price compared to that asked for the bigger earlier ones. 

james

1 hour ago, Dave McDonald said:

Hope that makes sense. 

Indeed it does!

I have owned and fettled TRs for 53 years and learn more every day, thanks to this forum and of course Pete Wigglesworth.

The story of this caliper business began because my son in law acquired a late 3A in many, many boxes. Included was a pair of brand new C (as per Moss) calipers plus amongst many other non relevant things two new virginal 5 hole disks probably from a Healey 3000/MGC - anybody interested?

Initially my son in law took a fancy to fitting these new calipers but we have discovered that life isn’t that simple as

1] The mounting plates are different

2]3A disks are too big

3]According to Pete Wigglesworth the bolt shanks that fix the brackets are of differing diameters even if the threads are the same

4]Not a drama cost wise, but the brake pads are different

5]Thanks to Dave Mc D, I learn now that the dust shields are different. (I am running my 3A without them at the moment as, somehow, one got mangled up)

I think life will be simpler if we stay with the original arrangements!!

As Fagan said , I think I’ll go and think it out again!

james

James, 

You will find that the caliper mounting bolt radius from the axle centre line is c. 1/4” larger on the later TR5/6 “mickey mouse” caliper mounts than on the earlier sidescreen car mounts. 

I’ve tried different combinations on my TR5 using sidescreen mounts and slightly larger diameter sidescreen discs to use with 3 pot calipers from Rover P6B 3500 V8. All fit together but I just wasn’t confident that the sidescreen caliper mounts, which are considerably less robust than the 5/6 mounts, were man enough for the job when what I was looking for was to be able to jump on the brakes later!

The comment about racers of yore, Reg Woodcock, etc using these is correct. Brave men. 
Dave McD

I have this picture in my car folder as I was going to change to the later set up. 

since going to wide and very sticky tyres and being able to lock them up in competition I realised the 3a brakes are more than enough. 

3299BAE7-EA71-4C50-940F-B94E83B0E973.jpeg

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.