Sidescreen Drivers are more Hardcore??

On our way out to a late lunch this afternoon my wife and I waited at a junction in Frome for a small convoy of three TR6s and a sidescreen to pass on the main road, presumably heading for the A303.  It was noticeable that the Sixes all had their soft tops up whilst the sidescreen driver was braving the elements.  And on the way back from our lunch late afternoon we passed a couple of 4s/5s going in the opposite direction again with the top up.

Just sayin' :D

Rgds Ian

PS There is alternative description to 'Hardcore'; and that's coming from someone who was caught in a downpour with the top down yesterday on the way to Shepton Mallet.

Of course I’d like to agree with you Ian! However I don’t think I have a leg to stand on as we wimped out of bringing Geoffrey, fully resplendent with Aeroscreens, to the show completely! Of course there were several very “good” reasons why we came in the TRuck but they don’t support your argument!

..and no doubt the sidescreen driver was the only one without cup-holders fitted.    (ref recent thread) B):D

As someone who has recently transitioned from a 3A (which rarely had the hood up) to a 6, I will try and test this theory.

I would observe though that in terms of water ingress on the 3A, there was very little difference whether the hood was up or not when raining...

Miles

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

I would observe though that in terms of water ingress on the 3A, there was very little difference whether the hood was up or not when raining...

Miles

I disagree, a properly fitted hood & sidescreens does keep the rain out.

Bob. (Not Gob :D)

Of course, I should have written...

"...in terms of water ingress on the my 3A, there was very little difference whether the hood was up or not when raining..."! Due almost exclusively to a mohair hood, without a flap on the windscreen edge. 

Miles

My hood also does not have a "flap" initially I had LDT fasteners on the screen top, & anything over 50 in hard rain, & water would migrate over the screen, & onto my legs. I now have Tenex fasteners, & it is now dry, they pull the fabric tighter onto the rubber seal.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Ian - it might have been me in the 2 with aeroscreens - very hardcore, or stupid - take your pick.

I'd set off for home at ~1.40pm yesterday and caught up with three 6's near Frome and followed them around the Warminster bypass and toward Salisbury where they peeled off left at Knook camp and I carried on to and through Salisbury and onto Stockbridge, Winchester, Midhurst and home just North of Arundel. I think the three 6's might nave been Thames Valley.

Did the ~110mile run in just under 3 hours (took 3hr 20m the the way on Friday) so was quite please with that. Going through places seems just as quick as using the A303/A34 or other 'main' routes.

Edited by Rod1883

It almost certainly was you Rod.

When I go to London in my 3a I will turn off the A36 at Knook Camp and go through Shrewton before dropping down onto the A303.  I'm going to the Revival in September and will probably go that way before heading towards Stockbridge and Petersfield so that I can come into Goodwood Circuit from the north.  It saves getting caught in the traffic jams around Chichester.

If you know the best route into the circuit to avoid the traffic, it would be very welcome.

Rgds Ian

Yes I would normally follow that route through Shrewton and then on through Larkhill to avoid the A303 at Stonehenge. I just felt that yesterday the 303 was very likely to be really busy along the whole length, then my usual route would be down the A34 to join the A272 at Winchester but again I thought the bottom of the A34 would be a bottleneck. Coming off at ~Andover to avoid that was another option. I do though tend to stay off the dual carriageways as much as possible in the TR when the roads are busy because although the TR is capable of keeping up in fast traffic it really isn't a pleasant experience in a 70mph traffic sandwich.

In terms of routes into Goodwood for the Revival then yes, definitely avoid the A27 around Chichester from the West. We're only 12 miles from Goodwood, slightly North and East, and our normal route is either the A27 from the East or if I think it's going to be really busy then we will use the back lanes through a village called Eartham to get in, but that doesn't really help you from your direction. I'm afraid I can't really advise on best 'rat runs' from the North/North West into the circuit but I'm sure there will be someone on here with thoughts.

It was good to see you on Saturday.

I stay in east Portsmouth each year for the Members Meeting. I usually encounter a long queue on the route in via the Rolls Royce facility. This year I switched on Waze which monitors traffic conditions. On Sunday morning it took me  around the quiet outskirts of Chichester and in via Lavant village without delay. Just a thought  

Likewise good to meet and chat at the Forum meet Ian along with others not previously spoken to. 

Miles

16 hours ago, Lebro said:

My hood also does not have a "flap" initially I had LDT fasteners on the screen top, & anything over 50 in hard rain, & water would migrate over the screen, & onto my legs. I now have Tenex fasteners, & it is now dry, they pull the fabric tighter onto the rubber seal.

Bob

My hood was already very tight but bowed between the LTDs. My solution was to glue dense foam strips between each LTD on the hood which were compressed against the flat chrome of the screen surround when the hood was put on. Largely effective but not ideal as hood fitting had to be careful and the odd foam strip had to be re secured from time to time. 

Miles

Ian - as Miles suggests going through Chichester could be an option, we find it often much quicker than the bypass even on non Goodwood days. I wasn't sure about getting in via Lavant as the routes from Petersfield or Midhurst often get clogged based on what I've been told. Coming South on the A3 then coming off at Horndean to go through Stansted/Rowlands Castle, Funtington and then Lavant could avoid main road queues, but some are narrow roads. Also as Miles says, Waze is a great navigation tool.