3a engine figure of 8 gaskets

Hi Z320.  Yes this tool worked very well but aluminium die had to thinned to about 16mm, it was to thick to fit between the bottom of liner and the crank , not much room there. Yes I think OEM liner maker’s were Mahle in Germany, as you say out of business now
I am following Mick’s every steps.
John Roberts

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Micky

Well, some job that was? It did take ages to grind 10 thou off each liner, was using 180 grit, and finishing with 320. Crank journals were whistle clean, had no sludge or **** coming out of the engine. It was a bit of a bugger to start, but I think after this type of work they always are. I will retorque after 200 miles.

Thanks for all you help and guidance.

kind regards John

IMG_1164.HEIC

Glad you succeeded John, relentless gets there in the end.

Mick Richards

• 2 months later...

Continuing the thread title

We have an engine delivered for investigation as the sump is filling with water.

Today's task was investigate where the leak was from   Had to double check the cam timing before stripping to ensure it went back as it came out    Thankfully the gears were scribed and dot punched and that tallied with the crank protractor check.

Following photos of what was obvious.   The leaking rusty water droplets are quite clear at the joint between the liner and the block above the crank.    The Figure of 8 was corroded away completely.

Next step is to get the liner seats recut, block top faced and the liners machined to height.  

sump full of emulsified slime

IMG_5426.jpeg

the visible rusty water droplets

IMG_5428.jpeg

slime!

IMG_5425.jpeg

Double crescent rather than figure of 8

IMG_5437.jpeg

Rust and crud build up on base of no4 liner after 25 years

IMG_5436.jpeg

no4 liner seat with visible corrosion 

IMG_5435.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
26 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Mine corroded like that in short order after I inadvertently used the wrong antifreeze. Big lesson learned. 

I had the same problem after my engine rebuild.

In less than 100 miles the STEEL Fo8 rings looked the same. I'd used "OAT" antifreeze (Not sure of the full name.)

I could see the antifreeze dripping out from the edges of the liner like Peter's pictures show.

To make matters worse, the antifreeze seemed to mix with the oil and turned it into a jelly like mixture.

Cleaned everything up, fitted COPPER Fo8s and all seems good now after another 3000 miles.

I did not re-machine anything as only the rings were corroded, not the actual block or liners.

I think... (I should have listened to  Mick Motorsport) that I did not take enough care with the liner heights in the first place. I also think that the copper rings are a bit thicker, so it made up for my lack of care.

Charlie

• 4 weeks later...