TV Connection Problems

I've just bouht a new Samsung TV. When I connected to my Humax Freeview box and Majority soundbar with a optical cable the audio did not work. Tried everything and eventually found that by switching on the Humax then the TV and then the soundbox the audio works. Has to be switched on in this order to work. My old Samsung TV worked normally.

It's a bit annoying as as quite often you just want to switch off the TV but then the audio doesn't work when you switch the TV on again. 

Any experts out there with any ideas?

Thanks

Alan.

Sounds like an HDMI handshake problem, the TV and Humax have to synch with each other. It's possible the new TV tries to do that too quickly for the Humax to handle if the TV is on first.  I doubt you can do anything about it. 

Does it do it when you switch the TV to standby instead of fully off?   If the TV has a second HDMI input you could try using that instead.

I also have a Samsung TV and a Humax free sat box. I used to turn on the TV then the free sat box in that order but one night the TV came on while I was asleep! I know the Siamese cats are clever but two remotes in the right sequence would be a challenge. It turns out if you turn on the Humax and wait it turns on the tele automatically and no need for small children. Good luck with the soundbar, beer bars more my thing!

Cheers 

Richard

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Sounds like an HDMI handshake problem, the TV and Humax have to synch with each other. It's possible the new TV tries to do that too quickly for the Humax to handle if the TV is on first.  I doubt you can do anything about it. 

Does it do it when you switch the TV to standby instead of fully off?   If the TV has a second HDMI input you could try using that instead.

Thanks for the reply Rob,

If I turn the TV off with the remote the audio does not work when the TV is turned back on. THe soundbar is connected with an HDMI cable and a an optical cable and the TV setttings set to optical  udio connection. I have tried different HDMI sockets.

36 minutes ago, Dic Doretti said:

I also have a Samsung TV and a Humax free sat box. I used to turn on the TV then the free sat box in that order but one night the TV came on while I was asleep! I know the Siamese cats are clever but two remotes in the right sequence would be a challenge. It turns out if you turn on the Humax and wait it turns on the tele automatically and no need for small children. Good luck with the soundbar, beer bars more my thing!

Cheers 

Richard

THanks for the reply Richard. My Humax has never turned on the TV automatically.

20 minutes ago, AlanG said:

THanks for the reply Richard. My Humax has never turned on the TV automatically.

It won’t go to the Samsung audio settings turn off the speakers and select your sound bar with the humax off then press and hold the power button on the Samsung for 10 seconds and it will reset hope that helps 

That setup sounds a little odd Alan.  Why do you have both HDMI and optical connections to the sound bar? Usually it is either/or - they can't both work at once.  

The trouble is there is such a variety of connection methods it very much depends on what equipment you have. Some have HDMI, some HDMI-ARC; some have multiple input and output sockets some only one. 

One recommended way is [ HUMAX hdmi -> Soundbar hdmi in, Soundbar hdmi i  out -> TV hdmi in].   That way the  soundbar gets the best sound feed without any processing by the TV.     

Another way if the soundbar doesn't have  hdmi-out  is  [ Humax hdmi -> TV hdmi-in , TV optical -> Soundbar ]

Yet another way is  [ Humax hdmi -> TV hdmi-in , TV hdmi-arc-> Soundbar  hdmi-arc]

Edited by RobH

Hi

We have a freesat box and a denon amp which we use as it does 7 dot surround sound through speakers around the room, the feed from the box goes to the amp with hdmi lead then to the tv also hdmi, we also have an optical lead from the tv to the amp so that by selecting the tv audio channel on the amp it will play anything on any tv channel directly through the amp for better sound, the amp also has bluetooth so selecting this channel we can play any music from phones etc, all this and I can work it at a ripe old 70. 

We had a Samsung and now have a LG, had no problem with either..

Phil.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:43 AM, RobH said:

That setup sounds a little odd Alan.  Why do you have both HDMI and optical connections to the sound bar? Usually it is either/or - they can't both work at once.  

The trouble is there is such a variety of connection methods it very much depends on what equipment you have. Some have HDMI, some HDMI-ARC; some have multiple input and output sockets some only one. 

One recommended way is [ HUMAX hdmi -> Soundbar hdmi in, Soundbar hdmi i  out -> TV hdmi in].   That way the  soundbar gets the best sound feed without any processing by the TV.     

Another way if the soundbar doesn't have  hdmi-out  is  [ Humax hdmi -> TV hdmi-in , TV optical -> Soundbar ]

Yet another way is  [ Humax hdmi -> TV hdmi-in , TV hdmi-arc-> Soundbar  hdmi-arc]

Connection is as your last two recommendations. The soundbar only has one hdmi -arc and one optical connection. Both are connected to see if there was any difference. I can switch between them in the TV audio settings. Having them connected individually makes no difference to the problem. I'm starting to think it is a compatibility problem between the Humax box and the TV as it all worked fine with the previous TV.