Door Window mechanism failure

A few years  ago I converted   my door window mechanisms to electric and in general it works well.

Due to the gearing  to overcome sticky bits it is a bit on the slow  side compared to moderns but is OK.

The other day the drivers side stopped working (in the UP position)

Yesterday I took the motor out and found that the motor was duff. It is a BMW E43 from Ebay.

Before panicking and ordering another motor  (apprx £10) I decided to take the motor apart.  Thankfully this is easy to do.

The gear box was OK. However when I pulled the body off the  armature a bucketful of water poured out   -   a good 100ml.

Anyway, a good spray with some water dispersant, dry off and all was good.

Thankfully after a revision to the motor mount design all was put back and working.  Result

Roger

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

A few years  ago I converted   my door window mechanisms to electric and in general it works well.

Due to the gearing  to overcome sticky bits it is a bit on the slow  side compared to moderns but is OK.

The other day the drivers side stopped working (in the UP position)

Yesterday I took the motor out and found that the motor was duff. It is a BMW E43 from Ebay.

Before panicking and ordering another motor  (apprx £10) I decided to take the motor apart.  Thankfully this is easy to do.

The gear box was OK. However when I pulled the body off the  armature a bucketful of water poured out   -   a good 100ml.

Anyway, a good spray with some water dispersant, dry off and all was good.

Thankfully after a revision to the motor mount design all was put back and working.  Result

Roger

Excellent outcome Roger.

Tangent time.

I have a window lift motor from a Citroen that I am thinking of using to power the long table axis on my mini mill.  The electric plug has 6 wire connections. Any idea of their uses/functions or should I just keep flashing it with 12 volts to see what happens?

Some of those will probably be safety limit or torque switches Peter if the Citroen was new enough.  What model is it from?

Hi Mike,

the BlueRacer is a bit problematic. I foolishly damaged the boot lid last summer so I have spent a fair bit of time this Spring/early  Summer trying  to sort it out.

However I have had my share and a few other peoples share of being poorly so things have been slow - old age is a bugger.

Pete - the multiple wires are probably current sensors for  management computer.  Don't go near it.

The BMW E46 window motor has a very handy stub  axle to attach things to. Cheap as well.

Roger

This is why you should fit water curtains and not just a bit of plastic stuck across the door frame.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, RobH said:

Some of those will probably be safety limit or torque switches Peter if the Citroen was new enough.  What model is it from?

2011 c3 picasso  
Replaced because the wire cable failed   Motor worked fine.   Yes it does have torque sensing for child decapitation protection.    That was the issue when the cable started to fray.   The motor stalled and dropped the window down.

the car  requires £30 / year road tax as its low emission co2 but not ULEZ compliant.  Explain that.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT