Door Window “slip back”

The window on my passenger door will, when wound fully up, slip down slightly. I’ve looked but haven’t found anything that addresses this. Can anybody advise me how this can be corrected or is it, like me, just a result of age and wear and tear and some new parts are required?

Many thanks,

Paul

That will be slack in the winder cog, as you wind it up you take the slack out and then when its up and you release the winder then the weight of the window slops the slack back the other way. They can be repaired, just be aware if you swap it for a new repro the stub for the winder handle is slightly short so makes it difficult to get the pin back in unless you either delete the trim spring or cut it down.

Stuart.

42 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Thanks both! 

Stuart, when you say it can be repaired do you mean replaced? 

Thanks again.

No you can repair them provided the cog isnt too worn.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart 

Out of interest how?

I had the same issue and bought a secondhand repro one but kept the original which if it can be repaired I'd like to and refit it to the car

Thanks

Andy

13 hours ago, stuart said:

That will be slack in the winder cog, as you wind it up you take the slack out and then when its up and you release the winder then the weight of the window slops the slack back the other way. They can be repaired, just be aware if you swap it for a new repro the stub for the winder handle is slightly short so makes it difficult to get the pin back in unless you either delete the trim spring or cut it down.

Stuart.

+1. The hole in many repro window winder handles is higher than the originals- you can waste a lot of time trying to get them to fit with the original spring and escutcheon plate.

23 hours ago, Paulfc said:

The window on my passenger door will, when wound fully up, slip down slightly. I’ve looked but haven’t found anything that addresses this. Can anybody advise me how this can be corrected or is it, like me, just a result of age and wear and tear and some new parts are required?

Many thanks,

Paul

Paul, I had a similar problem and just replaced it with a new one. Tbh I didn't have a problem putting the handle back on and have found the easiest way was using a long rod or thick wire coat hangar with a cut at the correct length which can be snapped off once located in the handle. Don't leave out the spring otherwise the handle will rattle.

Darren 

14 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi Stuart 

Out of interest how?

I had the same issue and bought a secondhand repro one but kept the original which if it can be repaired I'd like to and refit it to the car

Thanks

Andy

Theres a couple of things, often the cogs are slack to each other and also the return spring can sometimes be wound one more turn.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
On 7/29/2023 at 11:58 AM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Hi Stuart. I have a TR5, which I believe has the same doors as the TR6. Your comment above regarding the winder stub on the repro mechanism is interesting as when I bought my car in 2019 I discovered that the conical springs were missing. I bought new springs but simply could not fit them. In the end I concluded that there was enough “spring” in the door card to take up the slack.