Looking to buy a TR3a

Hi,

im looking to buy our first triumph. A TR3a has come up for sale locally, UFF 787. It’s had an unsettled couple of years, being sold to Bridge classic cars, who then put it up as a competition prize. I’ve deduced the winner wanted the cash, so it went to Silverstone auctions. The buyer there is the current seller, who has decided to downsize a substantial collection. 

where can I find more info on expected chassis numbers etc, as I’m not currently a member….

any help much appreciated. I love this detective work

Edited by Chris Fleet

From the Silverstone images it looks very presentable. It seems to be an pre TS 60000 car, no raised plinths for hinges on bonnet and boot. Also has the removable panel in the bulkhead for lhd pedal box. Boot construction and boot lid also indicates an earlier car. The body number tag is missing should be above the battery on the bulkhead. Commission plate is present but no detailed photo, so you can tell it’s relative production date. With this detail M Ellis Tr2-3 registrar could give you a lot more information.

Iain

31 minutes ago, iain said:

From the Silverstone images it looks very presentable. It seems to be an pre TS 60000 car, no raised plinths for hinges on bonnet and boot. Also has the removable panel in the bulkhead for lhd pedal box. Boot construction and boot lid also indicates an earlier car. The body number tag is missing should be above the battery on the bulkhead. Commission plate is present but no detailed photo, so you can tell it’s relative production date. With this detail M Ellis Tr2-3 registrar could give you a lot more information.

Iain

Hi Iain,

from the auction site:

Chassis Number

TS40935L

Engine Number

TS40899E

from my primitive knowledge I believe you are looking for chassis/engine to be within 300 or so, so looks promising. I’ve messaged M Ellis….

IMG_0223.webp

Numbers look like there are therefore the originals.

L means originally LHD, I guess it doesn’t have overdrive as there would be  O at the end of that string of numbers letters, after a gap enough for 4-5 characters.

11 minutes ago, iain said:

Numbers look like there are therefore the originals.

L means originally LHD, I guess it doesn’t have overdrive as there would be  O at the end of that string of numbers letters, after a gap enough for 4-5 characters.

It went to the states but came back in 67 apparently. Import papers in hand. Full history since. I think its just gone around the clock, so is sat at 3000 or so just now. Not such an issue i assume, as long as its been well cared for.

Chris I have just bought a T4A and Nick from Bicester sports cars has bought my TR3 he supplied to me a year ago a really nice car and one of the 1800 ish right hand drives. Cars from Nick come with a full one years warranty plus Nick operates on a buy back basis is so far that he will give you back what you paid for it If you having nothing to trade Nick will cut you a deal 

My only reason for selling the car back to Nick was that the TR4A has just been fully restored by a family friend and was too good an opportunity to miss

I can only speak highly of my dealings with Nick

Hope your search proves fruitful 

https://bicestersportscars.co.uk/car-sales/1959-triumph-tr3a/

Edited by Tiger123
2 hours ago, Tiger123 said:

Chris I have just bought a T4A and Nick from Bicester sports cars has bought my TR3 he supplied to me a year ago a really nice car and one of the 1800 ish right hand drives. Cars from Nick come with a full one years warranty plus Nick operates on a buy back basis is so far that he will give you back what you paid for it If you having nothing to trade Nick will cut you a deal 

My only reason for selling the car back to Nick was that the TR4A has just been fully restored by a family friend and was too good an opportunity to miss

Looks amazing, but way out of my budget unfortunately.

Edited by Chris Fleet
13 hours ago, Chris Fleet said:

Now a proud owner! 

IMG_9319.jpeg

Very nice Chris. Obviously it’s been converted and an age related Welsh Reg, but it looks a quality finish. I think this model looks good on either wires ( not chrome please !) or steels.

How does the gear change feel by the way? I was surprised recently when I sat in one (not driven) that the feel of the gear change is much smoother, less notchy and a shorter throw between gears than my 4a?

Kevin

4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Very nice Chris. Obviously it’s been converted and an age related Welsh Reg, but it looks a quality finish. I think this model looks good on either wires ( not chrome please !) or steels.

How does the gear change feel by the way? I was surprised recently when I sat in one (not driven) that the feel of the gear change is much smoother, less notchy and a shorter throw between gears than my 4a?

Kevin

Gear change is very positive which is lovely. Car was built in 58, went to Maryland USA until 67, where the car got its registration then upon repatriation. I have the blue card….

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 6:25 PM, Tiger123 said:

Do you have any underside pictures of the Green TR3A as i am thinking of going to view it as i am in the market for a quality car that’s been well resored

Hi Rocketman

Attached underside photos these were taking at the restoration the car has done about 900 miles since I am away in Cornwall from today and won't have access to any photos but these will give you a flavour of the underside Nicks warranty is fantastic it covers everything and I mean everything I did have to use it during my ownership the throttle springs stripped whilst out driving it leaving the throttle wide open nursed the car home then rang Nick came down within 48 hours and picked the car up replaced  them (they not bedded in yet so the tickover is a bit fast but lift the acclerator up and idles perfect Hope the viewing goes well Nick is a pleasure to deal with I for one wont twice  buying from him again

IMG-20220812-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0042.jpg

IMG-20220812-WA0044.jpg