TR4A sun visors

Just bought a TR4A replacing my TR3A I am I correct that sun visors are no longer available from the usual suppliers? I understand Skinners can provide a reproduction but unsure of quality For those of you who have past there best visors have you just removed them and gone without? My TR4A has been freshly restored including the interior apart from the visors and it let's the interior down

20230727_151046.jpg

IMG-20230726-WA0001.jpg

20230727_150932.jpg

Edited by Tiger123

Hi Terry,

Skinner's do  make the visor for a 4A.

You can get new brackets for the TR4 that will work perfectly on a 4A with Surrey top. 

However new brackets for the TR4A are not available.     2nd hand ones are out there   (ebay etc) for apprx £50

Roger

Edited by RogerH
Typo

I got a set from John Skinners and they are well enough made but thinner and more bendy than the originals. I ended up slitting the end of the new ones, removing the hardboard and foam and using the innards and frame from my originals, re-sealing the split ends

David 

The visors on my TR4A were in sorry shape, and as you say, the usual suppliers don’t have them. So I looked at Skinners, but when I added the cost of shipping to the US, they were a little dear.
Then I thought why not make them myself? After all, I had the brackets, so to quote Clarkson, “How hard can it be?”

I bought some 1/8 inch thick hardboard, some 1/8 thick cotton batting, and I had some black vinyl left over from my hood cover project.

They came out good enough for me, and for about $10 for the pair!

Jim

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

11 hours ago, Tr4aJim said:

The visors on my TR4A were in sorry shape, and as you say, the usual suppliers don’t have them. So I looked at Skinners, but when I added the cost of shipping to the US, they were a little dear.
Then I thought why not make them myself? After all, I had the brackets, so to quote Clarkson, “How hard can it be?”

I bought some 1/8 inch thick hardboard, some 1/8 thick cotton batting, and I had some black vinyl left over from my hood cover project.

They came out good enough for me, and for about $10 for the pair!

Jim

IMG_1801.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

That looks great Jim it something I will consider doing

My original visors that came with the car were badly stained with what seemed to be underseal (!), and after spending many hours trying to clean them I bought a can of vinyl paint which covered the staining. I needn't have bothered though as they're pretty useless as visors - too narrow.

Pete

A few years ago, the sun visors in my 1962 TR4 started shedding dust on my knees every time I flipped them down in order to use them.  After a while I realised the source of the dust - the inside of the visor held some sort of foam rubber padding, which had disintegrated.

I removed each visor, smashed the foam into minute pieces and shook all of it out through the hole through which the rod passes.

I put each unpadded visor back on the bar, and replaced the assembly.

No more dust on knees now!   The lack of padding doesn't worry me.

Ian Cornish

5 hours ago, stillp said:

My original visors that came with the car were badly stained with what seemed to be underseal (!), and after spending many hours trying to clean them I bought a can of vinyl paint which covered the staining. I needn't have bothered though as they're pretty useless as visors - too narrow.

Pete

Hi Pete

Vinyl paint is my other option which I am looking into my dilemma is do I paint white or try a colour match to the seats purists will say no maybe the thing is the car is 95% really good just have a few jobs to get up to the right level and I want to put budget to the most effective use hence not spending £100 on a set of skinners visors which I am sure a very good

1966-triumph-tr4a-irs-645505a17f23c (1).jpg