1974 US spec gearbox swap with saloon J type overdrive box

Trusting this isn't a daft question .......  I have acquired a saloon J type overdrive box and wish to fit this to my US spec 1974 car - the gearbox main shaft flange has to match the pinion  flange - is it easy to swap the main shaft flange with part no 160292 J type box flange, or get the J type box flange holes drilled to match the diff ? If drilling, can this be done with the flange in situ ?

cheers

Matt

Edited by mattyb
checked parts cat

When I did mine I took the saloon flange to a local machine shop and using the TR flange for reference they drilled an extra set of holes between the originals.

I doubt that the results would be accurate enough if you were to leave the  flange on the box when it's being drilled, and unfortunately if its not dead right you will have vibration from the off centre propshaft.

George 

13 minutes ago, harlequin said:

When I did mine I took the saloon flange to a local machine shop and using the TR flange for reference they drilled an extra set of holes between the originals.

I doubt that the results would be accurate enough if you were to leave the  flange on the box when it's being drilled, and unfortunately if its not dead right you will have vibration from the off centre propshaft.

George 

Same here.

M

6 hours ago, matt george said:

Matt,

I also fitted a J-type saloon box into my ex-US TR6. Overdrive Repair Services can supply a replacement flange with the correct hole spacing etc, which is what I used.

Matt

Many thanks Matt - was this featured in PC ? if so, can you remember which issue ?

1 hour ago, mattyb said:

Kenrow - many thanks - I will source a new flange 

cheers

Just ring Pete Cox.

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/  

Pete Cox & Son Sports Cars

Unit 25 Peltland Trading Estate, Padgets Lane, South Moons Moat, Redditch, B98 0RB

E: enquiry@petecoxsportscars.co.uk T: 01527 522 646 - Work hours only.

Hours

Open today

09:00 – 17:00