1958 Triumph rally video

That was a pleasant break from looking up Triumph part numbers all night.

Great film Iain.  I've seen it before but it's always worth another watch.

Back in the distant past, I had a great aunt who died and left me some money (£500 as I recall, a lot of money in 1970) and I spent it all on a 1964 Alfa Guilia Spider Veloce 1600 which is essentially a successor to the Alfas in the film.  It's a sobering thought that they were first manufactured in 1954 complete with all aluminium wet liner DOHC engines and in the case of my car a 5 speed box.  A bit of a far cry from the majority of UK machinery of the time.

And by the time I bought the Alfa it was 6 years old and needed welding done on it already.

Rgds Ian

On 7/8/2023 at 12:05 AM, oxf2 said:

Great videos! In the video posted by Iain, is that Ken Richardson trying to recruit a driver at 3 mins, 13 seconds ?

Nearly, that’s Ken talking to Annie Soisbault, his recruit for 1958……..allegedly a choice between Annie or Pat (Moss). Annie became European Ladies Rally champion in 59, but never really got close to the success of Pat M.

Here is Annie with Ken R in Paris, having signed her contract to drive for the Comps department for 1958.  

image.png

All these 1950s Triumph financed and Frank Callaby shot 1950s rally films were in the TRR Archive at Didcot on VHS tapes in the club archive room at Didcot when I was archivist  in the pre-youtube etc early years of this century,, and they are presumably still there, locked away awaiting someone to get them converted to modern format for all to see.......when John Saunders became archivist with Bob Rowland, he was going to get them done but sadly he died before anything happened......Bill P.

Thanks Bill.   I have somewhere a list of all the vhs videos that the club archive held.   It was sent to me when I asked about the Rebuilding the 4 cylinder TR Engine video.

Cheers

Peter W

Thanks for your answer Iain, and nice shot of your motor in the pic!

I wonder if the plastic tape in the vhs perishes over the decades. I have had vhs tapes converted to digital data with good results in the recent past. Think maybe I should do something to help here. Whom should I contact about this? I live close to Didcot, so can pick up the vhs tapes one by one, no problem.

Jo at the office would be a good start......as I haven't been into the archive room for years I have no idea what is where or whether the tapes are even existing......so good luck! As the room is normally kept locked , they should be somewhere there. I have had no trouble converting home movie VHS tapes 40 plus years old to DVD, and haven't seen any deterioration. Its a job that should be done though, although it might be that some at least of these films are/were commercially available on DVD, and if they were, this might be a better bet. Bill P.