TR3S bodyshell at auction on Car & Classic (ending 3 July 2023)

Hi Don,

I think Paul Hogan may have the low down on this having built his own "LeMans TR3S" replica. Its a legal story. If this is the same body shell, it appeared several years ago on ebay for some fantastical sum, not surprisingly there were no takers at that time. Last time there appeared to be a full dashboard...........now gone or maybe its a different shell?
Ian

Car 25 in the 1959 Le Mans was TR3S registered XHP939.  In the race, it retired with fan failure. 

An engine-driven fan was unnecessary in such a high speed contest and caused chaos for the team, as XHP940 failed for the same reason, and then  XHP938, from which the fan had been removed, blew its engine after 22 hours.

The Reg No (and only this, as I understand it) was bought by Hogan some years ago and applied to a car which he had constructed.

So where does this leave the owner of the shell and anyone who might wish to purchase it?

Ian Cornish

41 minutes ago, ianc said:

Car 25 in the 1959 Le Mans was TR3S registered XHP939.  In the race, it retired with fan failure. 

An engine-driven fan was unnecessary in such a high speed contest and caused chaos for the team, as XHP940 failed for the same reason, and then  XHP938, from which the fan had been removed, blew its engine after 22 hours.

The Reg No (and only this, as I understand it) was bought by Hogan some years ago and applied to a car which he had constructed.

So where does this leave the owner of the shell and anyone who might wish to purchase it?

Ian Cornish

Don’t know but the whole saga stinks to me and anybody with any brain should think the same 

I bought a ex Le Mans Triumph many years ago that had been abroad since its last factory entry.

When I applied for the V5 from the DVLA it came back having been issued to a chap in the UK whilst the actual car was sat in a Swiss motor museum on display!

I don`t know, maybe I am just a pushover, but I have read all the articles shown in the photos, and I find the paper trail very convincing. Obviously the front apron is not original, but I am 99% sure that the rest of the car is from no25, the old photos having convinced me. It would seem that the original car was red, at least that is the colour on the inside of the bulkhead , the underside & engine bay. Sprayed Triumph Racing Green outside and in the boot. 

I don`t know if having the body shell is enough to ever pass the car off as the one that raced in 1959, but for a re creation it is surely a good starting point.

Ralph

52 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

I don`t know, maybe I am just a pushover, but I have read all the articles shown in the photos, and I find the paper trail very convincing. Obviously the front apron is not original, but I am 99% sure that the rest of the car is from no25, the old photos having convinced me. It would seem that the original car was red, at least that is the colour on the inside of the bulkhead , the underside & engine bay. Sprayed Triumph Racing Green outside and in the boot. 

I don`t know if having the body shell is enough to ever pass the car off as the one that raced in 1959, but for a re creation it is surely a good starting point.

Ralph

This is the bit I liked I wonder has B H COX any relations in the TR Register.

IMG_3192.jpeg

IMG_3192.jpeg