TR3B italian instruction manual & other extras

Good morning

on my TR3B chassis TCF/272-L  (the only one delivered new in Italy) Heritage Certificate there is specified an “Italian Instruction book”. This unfortunately is no more with the car. I suppose it was a TR3A version, as I don’t know if a specific “B” variant it was ever published. Does anybody have seen another language owners book except the english version? Between the other more common extras like heater, side screens etc. there  is also specified a “rationalized gearbox”, “86mm bore engine” and “Duplo headlights”. Are they common features on all TR3BS?

Regards from Italy.

mbracing

Hi Mauro,

Instruction manuals were only described as TR3 but the sixth edition was dated 1962 so probably covers the 3B as it also refers to the 2138 engine as standard with 1991 as an option.  I do have the UK version but there are various foreign versions although they are quite rare.

In motor industry speak rationalised usually means an item that is used across a range of cars in this case it refers to the TR4 all synchro gearbox which was fitted to the TCF cars.

I am not 100% sure but believe that Duplo headlights have a yellow tinted bulb with a vertical dip lens - possibly an Italian requirement at the time?

Regards

Mike

Rationalized gearbox = the full-synchromesh gearbox from the TR4.  Apparently that was the only gearbox in production at the time.  Having owned one for 40+ years, a full-synchro sidescreen car is one of the best mods one could make.  Better than the overdrive I added 10+ years ago, IMO.

86 mm bore = the TR4 engine.  As expected for a TCF-series TR3B.

Duplo headlights = no info.  Lighting in those days was VERY different across European countries.  Lots of tiny differences market-to-market.

Italian instruction book = almost certainly something used for TR2/3/3A.  I've never seen anything like a TR3B-specific instruction book in any language, including English.

4 minutes ago, mike ellis said:

...In motor industry speak rationalised usually means an item that is used across a range of cars in this case it refers to the TR4 all synchro gearbox which was fitted to the TCF cars...

I think the rationalized gearboxes were across the TSF-series cars too, Mike.  My TSF202L has a full synchro gearbox, also noted on the BMIHT certificate.

Andrea -- your car didn't have adjustable steering from new, did it?  I believe S-T had a LOT of those assemblies to get rid of. during TR3B production!  Every TR3B I've seen in person over here had that option, and almost every one for which I've seen the build data.  Conventional steering was definitely uncommon on a TR3B.   Perhaps something about the Italian market kept it off your car?  Did Italy require ignition locks like a few other European countries?  That certainly changed the steering that was fitted if so.

Now I always had thought Duplo bulbs had a P45t base rather than the BPF arrangement, and a globular glass surrounding the filament.  Plus they were low wattage. 40/45?   Some one with a contemporary Lucas parts book can look that up to confirm.   

46 minutes ago, Don H. said:

I think the rationalized gearboxes were across the TSF-series cars too, Mike.  My TSF202L has a full synchro gearbox, also noted on the BMIHT certificate.

Andrea -- your car didn't have adjustable steering from new, did it?  I believe S-T had a LOT of those assemblies to get rid of. during TR3B production!  Every TR3B I've seen in person over here had that option, and almost every one for which I've seen the build data.  Conventional steering was definitely uncommon on a TR3B.   Perhaps something about the Italian market kept it off your car?  Did Italy require ignition locks like a few other European countries?  That certainly changed the steering that was fitted if so.

Hi, I’m not Andrea. I don’t know where this name is from.
The TR3B is not fitted with an adjustable steering and this is not mentioned on the Heritage Certificate list of extras fitted. And I do believe there was not any requirement for ignition locks for the italian market. See enclosed pictures of the steering and of the Heritage Certificate.

Kindest regards,

mbracing

IMG_1865.jpeg

704b8085-6bab-405c-8f7d-fc8d7b87de40.jpeg

The photo reminded me that I've often wondered how difficult is it to operate the handbrake on a LHD TR.

One has to lean forward on a RHD car (well, I would have to as I have short arms), but on a LHD, one has to lean forward and to the right.

Ian Cornish

2 hours ago, mbracing said:

E come ti chiami? Per favore….

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
9 hours ago, mbracing said:

The TR3B is not fitted with an adjustable steering and this is not mentioned on the Heritage Certificate list of extras fitted. And I do believe there was not any requirement for ignition locks for the italian market. See enclosed pictures of the steering and of the Heritage Certificate.

Kindest regards,

mbracing

IMG_1865.jpeg

704b8085-6bab-405c-8f7d-fc8d7b87de40.jpeg

My apologies, Mauro.  A former owner of TCF272L, I believe. 

Edited by Don H.
7 hours ago, ianc said:

The photo reminded me that I've often wondered how difficult is it to operate the handbrake on a LHD TR...

Yes, it's kind of inconvenient.  Even for those of us with long arms.

But the handbrake lever is completely out of the way for the 99.9% of the time it's not in use.  Especially over here, where most of us were taught decades ago to park a car in gear, preferably a low gear, to keep it from rolling. 

Handbrakes are used sometimes, especially on a slope, but I don't think we Americans put the gearbox in neutral and engage the handbrake anywhere near as often as i've seen in the UK.

Andrea is the name of a previous owner, also from Milano. That is the name in the TR 3B global database. I will change it to Mauro and send you the certificate once i know your email address,

Gert

TCF1255LO

1 hour ago, klashorst said:

Andrea is the name of a previous owner, also from Milano. That is the name in the TR 3B global database. I will change it to Mauro and send you the certificate once i know your email address,

Gert

TCF1255LO

Hi Gert I just sent you a PM

Regards

mbracing

Thanks about the nice replies, appreciated.

Therefore nobody has a picture or more informations about the instruction manuals written in other languages than English? I have the Factory italian version of the owners manual for my TR5, quite rare too, but I never saw, even just in picture, a TR3A or B one.

Kindest regards 

mbracing

Gert

TCF1255LO

Mauro,

As the car was delivered new in Italy,  is the speedometer in miles per hour or kilometers?

Looking at the picture it looks like kilometers. Now that is interesting. Or was it changed afterwards?

10 minutes ago, klashorst said:

Looking at the picture it looks like kilometers. Now that is interesting. Or was it changed afterwards?

I have to ask to the previous owner, but from what I can see it looks originally fitted in period, and considering the car was delivered new in Italy with italian specs (like the italian instructions book) I believe the speedo was in kms from the Factory.

mbracing

Off the original topic, forgive, but regarding the handbrake........for me, it falls to my right hand pretty well with a slight lean forward, control is very good, the fly off function allows for this to be used as typical braking (if by hand) knowing that it's rear wheels only. I've gained good working knowledge of the mechanism during a rear brake rehab not long ago, has given me an appreciation for the design. During testing, I used the handbrake only, albeit in very safe traffic conditions and am comfortable with the feel and capability if I had an emergency situation.

Best,

JS 1960 TR3 (LHD)