I am having my LHS front and rear wings overhauled and painted starting on Tuesday morning. I have removed the trim and the stone guard. The small trim is in bad shape and needs replacing. The other two trims are in good shape but the locating tags are corroded and out of shape. Is there a company who can supply one short bead and 24 tags . I am nervous about the tags which must fit well into my existing trim. It would be a shame to use the old tags with the new paint.

Can anyone direct me to a quality supplier. please.

Richard & B

I like repairing the parts that I  have,  and some new parts are not made well. I generally try and buy quality parts from proper suppliers. Does anyone on The Forum have a contact for the tags.

Thanks Richard & B

Moss sell the tags as individual parts.  I put the number in their parts lists for all TR models that have wing beading.  The short bead is a spare on its own too, again I listed that in the early printed spares book that Moss provide FOC. Fitting the tags means teasing the stainless trim open enough to slide them in.  I would prime and paint them before use unless they are stainless ( I have had stainless ones but they are usually plated steel.)

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Yes Moss do the tags bet you`ll have to carefully open up one end of the trim to be able to slide the old ones out and replace the new ones and then carefully peen the end over.

Stuart.

Hi,  Peter and Stuart

I have a black acrylic paint aerosol. Is that any good ? I need 25 tags and it is best to replace the old ones now while the trim is off. The car is going to the paint shop tomorrow morning, so I will have two weeks to get the trim correct. I will call  Moss for some help later today.

Thanks for the advice.

Richard & B

It's worth noting that like everything else nowadays the quality & design of these tags has changed over the years. These photographs show the remains of a bag of tags I've had for 30 -40yrs next to the modern offerings. They vary in many ways, most importantly the originals were individually galvanised all over, they were longer & narrower with a larger return on them. The modern ones are painted but not all over, they look like they were primed first as part of a large sheet before being pressed out so none of the edges are protected. If you are looking for longevity they are not a simple fit & forget.

IMG_20230619_092453446.jpg

IMG_20230619_092539402.jpg

1 hour ago, Chilliman said:

It's worth noting that like everything else nowadays the quality & design of these tags has changed over the years. These photographs show the remains of a bag of tags I've had for 30 -40yrs next to the modern offerings. They vary in many ways, most importantly the originals were individually galvanised all over, they were longer & narrower with a larger return on them. The modern ones are painted but not all over, they look like they were primed first as part of a large sheet before being pressed out so none of the edges are protected. If you are looking for longevity they are not a simple fit & forget.

IMG_20230619_092453446.jpg

IMG_20230619_092539402.jpg

Interesting as the ones I have are galvanized all over.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, Richardtr3a said:

Hi Stuart. Where can I buy galvanised tags like yours? Thanks for the advice

Richard &B. Out walking in the local woods and Churchyard

TBH I have no idea now as Ive had them years, possibly came from Alan Robinson.

Stuart.

FWIW,  For my front wings, I bought a bunch of 3mm stainless pop rivets and where the trim curves down around the front of the wings, I pop rivetted the tags to the inner face of the wing.  It means that its a fairly straightforward task to remove the front shroud because the trim stays attached to the wing.  I just loosen the bolts holding the wing to the inner panel and move it sideways enough to clear the trim from the shroud.  It also means you can get the trim nice and snug to the wing and it stays there.

Rgds Ian