I knew Roger Seal very well from the 70s to the 1990s. He and I shared a stall at Beaulieu Autojumble many times.......Sadly he is no longer with us, having disappeared, quite literally, somewhere in the Far East many years back. It is an extraordinary story well worthy of a novel and what happened to him is, so far as I know, utterly unknown.....there were many rumours, even that he had been imprisoned in Thailand or Indonesia (nasty), that he'd been murdered, kidnapped by drug gangs etc etc......who knows the truth? I knew him well and I don't......

Roger's father, Montefiore Seal, bought JBO 3 in November 1953, a very early TR2 chassis number TS122, and said to have been the first TR in Wales. It was Geranium pink and Monty Seal raced and sprinted it a great deal in the mid 50s. After his father's death, Roger embarked on a quest to find the car ,which had been sold years earlier, but he never did, so instead he resolved to build an exact replica, importing a LHD car from the States still in its original coat of Geranium paint.....this car was stored in a lockup in Battersea behind a block of flats, one of which Roger owned and I was called in by the residents association there to value both the car and the spares with it once Roger had been missing for some years and lots of lock-up rent and rates were owed to said association........I could go on at great length and maybe I'll write the whole story up in an article one day......Roger was a fascinating bloke, a Barrister, a professional restaurant critic and journalist and a general Bon Viveur....he once bought me lunch in Chelsea's best restaurant in return for me finding him a pair of original Alfin Drums.......it is all quite a story.......Bill P.

Good grief Bill  that really has got the makings of a good book.....

I met Roger at an early International TR Weekend, probably the late 1980s when I was in a scruffy TR2 looking for an award in the Wooden Spoon competition. The car sported an original Triumph aero screen which he was very keen to buy, a deal was done, the TR restoration fund benefitted and Roger went away a happy man with the aero screen.

Cheers

Richard

Great stories. Write it up Bill.