13 hours ago, Corkery11 said:

One of the mods I have made to the car was as a result of making up a replacement battery box. The big hole in the bulkhead looked great for future access behind the dash as wiring up the panel while pushing cable in and out seemed like a recipe for error. As a result I framed up / strengthened / tapped the hole with welded up plate and now I can remove the battery box if needed. I'm hoping this doesn't turn the car into jelly. To be honest it hasn't made things a hole (sorry) lot easier regards the wiring as I have a heater but without a heater I think it might have been a little more useful. I did find it handy for setting up / installing the air vent.

PXL_20230529_121306019.jpg

Have you tried to fit that battery tray yet as the normal replacement ones are a pig to fit and not recommended on a painted car!

Stuart. 

So I said that I would be back in the garage this evening and report back.

To say it was another frustrating evening is an understatement. I am many fuses lighter and feel as if I have gone backwards because with nothing connected at the dash I am now blowing fuses if I connect the green power line to the wiper motor. Which wasn’t the case yesterday!

I am now blowing fuses if I connect the green power line to the wiper motor. 

This thread is getting a bit confusing as we seem to be discussing similar things on different cars - what car model is this?    The diagram I posted yesterday was for a TR3 loom with the early wiper motor which seemed to correspond to your loom but if there is a green wire you may have the later motor with self park - is that right?  There is no green wire to the early motor - just a black/green from the wiper switch, but the later motor needs a power connection. 

Does the wiper motor have a plug connection or are there wires? 

Edited by RobH
11 hours ago, stuart said:

Have you tried to fit that battery tray yet as the normal replacement ones are a pig to fit and not recommended on a painted car!

Stuart. 

Hi Stuart, yes it's in. I folded one myself out of sheet using what was left of the old one as a pattern so with a bit of fettling here and there it's a nice fit.

Mark

13 hours ago, RobH said:

I am now blowing fuses if I connect the green power line to the wiper motor. 

This thread is getting a bit confusing as we seem to be discussing similar things on different cars - what car model is this?    The diagram I posted yesterday was for a TR3 loom with the early wiper motor which seemed to correspond to your loom but if there is a green wire you may have the later motor with self park - is that right?  There is no green wire to the early motor - just a black/green from the wiper switch, but the later motor needs a power connection. 

Does the wiper motor have a plug connection or are there wires? 

Thanks Rob, I have a ‘58 TR3A with a self-parking wiper motor. I think the new wiring harness is universal across the models and hence my initial confusion. Having looked at the TR3A wiring diagram I am happy that the power comes from A4 on the fuze block to the motor (green) and then to the switch (black/green) where it then earths on a black. 
There is then a separate earth (black) direct from the motor which enables the self parking. 
My concern is that last night the fuze was blowing when I connected the green without the Black/green being connected. The motor has recently been overhauled and works fine if I connect it direct to a battery. 

That sounds like something wrong in the motor - possibly a short to earth on the power side.   When you connected it direct to a battery was that just using the two terminals?  (supposing the motor is that type and not the one with flying leads) If there was no connection to the motor body when you did that it would work - and would also work even if the leads were swapped over on the terminals, since the motor body would be electrically 'floating'. 

One possibility is that if you inadvertently connected power to the wrong pin on the motor (pin 1 on my diagram above) there is a direct path to earth via the self-park contact when the motor is not in the 'parked' position.

The latter seems likely. The original push on terminals were "handed" in that one of them had a protrusion which located in a slot in the casing when connected to the correct terminal. if the new loom does not have that, then one could easily push them on the wrong terminals.

Bob

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice given, wipers and fuel gauge now working. Hopefully tune the carbs later, put the seats back in and the bonnet on. Then book an MoT!!!!!

48 minutes ago, markaluge said:

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice given, wipers and fuel gauge now working. Hopefully tune the carbs later, put the seats back in and the bonnet on. Then book an MoT!!!!!

Good outcome.  Take the screen off and the MOT will not require wipers. ….. ‘Just sayin’

On 6/10/2023 at 2:10 PM, markaluge said:

Yes, I know but the bride’s hair might not survive!

And that is your problem?   Head scarves were fashion accessories when the car was made

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

And that is your problem?   Head scarves were fashion accessories when the car was made

Hhmm. Didn't end well for Isadora Duncan.