Panasonic DVD Recorder

I have a DMR-EX83EB Recorder, which I use to record TV programmes for viewing at more convenient times.

As the Recorder is an analogue device, I play the recordings via a clever little Chinese box (Scaler Video Converter) which converts the signal to digital for my more modern TV.

When I wish to record a programme, I press the green Guide button on the Recoder's remote and a schedule appears with the channels listed down the left, and the time and programmes to the right.  Dead easy to select the required programme for recording, and it's been working for years (since 2006).

Until Thursday evening!  I pressed the green Guide button and, instead of the schedule, found a page with Landscape written at the top and no programme information whatsoever.

I consulted the Recorder's 100 page manual, but have failed to find a way of getting the Recorder to revert to its previous simple method of programme selection - in fact, I cannot get any other display at all when pressing Guide.

Playback is still working as before with the black Direct Navigator button.

Perhaps there's someone who can assist me to restore normal working?

If not, do I have to purchase a modern digital recorder?  And, if so, any recommendations (we watch only Freeview channels, by the way)?

Ian Cornish

It could just be that the freeview programme guide has been moved or changed format, and the recorder can no longer see it because it doesn't know where to look.  You may just need to do a system update and re-tune by following the auto setup procedures (page 78 of the manual covers the TV guide).

https://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z6471d085z1z2e549z656ez706466z21z88b319980d44b0071f554e7932969c7476530344/tsn2/data/ALL/DMREX83/OI/836615/vqt2j27.pdf

If that doesn't work you may need to do a factory reset but beware that might erase any recorded programmes. 

Press and hold both Channel up and Channel down on the main unit for 5 seconds.
This will reset the unit and initiate an auto reinstall.

Edited by RobH

ianc,

Rather more convenient today than doing your own recording is to access the BBC iPlayer, more4, ITVextra or the other online portals that will play almost any recently broadcast programme on your TV.

An Amazon Fire Stick is just one piece of kit that will allow you to do this.  It's free of charge, once you buy the device, unless you access the likes of Netflix. I think you need broadband at home for this, but no wiring is needed.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Since our Smart TV (Sony) decided it wasn't smart enough to receive the i-player and other catch up streaming services a few years ago, we use a little Roku device to access all those streaming services - like Ian we only use the 'free' services but the Roku unit can receive subscription stuff too

Curry's link for the Roku unit

(other retailers are available)

Hi Ian

It may be your device has a firmware glitch which can be updated;

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dvd/download/ex83/index.html

if it’s reading ‘Landscape’ at the top of the page it suggests the device is ‘reading’ but no signal.

Have you tried;

Power off and then on (10 second wait?

(As a Konica Minolta Business Solutions dealer copier technical engineer I’ve found on many occasions MFD’s will somehow magically reconnect to the RJ45 connection for scan and print when re-booted).

Have you tried a direct connection (if possible) to the device from your aerial or satellite?

Have Freeview changed the address of the page as suggested?

2006 is quite old for a device and none I think would still use a CD format. Bit old hat.

It might be wise to cut a long story short and contact Freeview directly for advice and the cost of a new box on 03456 50 50 50. You can also check if they’ve updated the page address at the same time . ( Not Weekends unfortunately).

Kevin 

Edited by boxofbits

Ian,

Because we have a weak signal we need a dish and Sky box even though we only watch Freeview channels. 

But……left over from when we lived in Devon, we have a Talktalk box that works a treat for watching iPlayer and other catch up apps. Ours was made by Huawei and you can pick them up very cheaply on eBay. They incorporate a hard disc for recording programmes and do not require you to have a Talktalk account. If you would like more details send me a PM. 

Rgds Ian

PS you connect it to your broadband router via a couple of Powerline adapters. 

Edited by Ian Vincent

Thanks for these suggestions.

My recorder is connected direct to the loft aerial, and then feeds the aerial signal to the TV.

I made a Software Update Search last night, but within a short time, it stated that my software is up to date.

The Landscape note changed to Portrait (no idea why), but no programmes listed and it seemed to be stating that programme information was not available. 

Will see whether I can make progress this evening.

Ian Cornish

39 minutes ago, ianc said:

it seemed to be stating that programme information was not available. 

That is always a possibility- it might have been temporarily turned off at your transmitter for maintenance or something. 

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/tv-guide-issue

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/updates-alerts

To give my back a rest from digging a rather large hole in near concrete, I decided to sit down yesterday afternoon.

Tried Initialize (Initialise in the UK) as per page 78 of the manual.  First for Default Settings, then for Shipping Condition, but neither resolved my dilemma.

Then went to the front of the manual, where page 13 covers Setting the Channels and Clock.  Selected DVB Auto Setup, and then Best Signal Quality (All Regions).

Following this, I found that, on pressing Guide on the Remote, I have regained the Programme display which I had before and for which I have been searching.

There's been an unexpected change: as soon as the Recorder powers up, it displays a TV ptrogramme, and, by pressing the numbers on the Remote, I can obtain any of the Freeview programmes.  Previously, prior to pressing Guide, the Recorder just had a grey screen indicating nothing selected.  I guess this is a bonus!

The programmes which I had recorded prior to this problem, are still listed as being available.

Thanks very much for the suggestions - in retrospect, it's clear that the Recorder had lost its Channels and I should have selected DVB Auto Setup sooner.

Ian Cornish

IanC,

As usual with these things, it would have been far simpler if an under-nine-year old were to hand!    I sympathise!   While I have four such grand kids they are to rarely to hand, and I struggle with such modern tech!

John

Correct, John. 

However, our son and his family, which includes a 10 year old grandson, have decamped to Scotland for holiday - and weather up there is brilliant according to reports on TV and the lovely photos we have received.

Ian Cornish