Power Steering - Hydraulic or Electric

Hi

I am wanting to put power steering in my TR4a as I am not getting any younger!

The choice is between the hydraulic system by Classic Driving Developments and the Electric type from Holden Vintage and Classic.

The electric is the more expensive option but quality and reliability is what is more important than price

I would like to from those who have fitted either so I can make a judgement call.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Edited by Paul Garvey

Hi Paul,

the electric power steering from Holden is made by EZ powersteering from the NL.

It is based on a common Japanese Mitsubishi Koyo unit, used on several small cars. They are powefull enough for our TRs.

I used them from a Renault Clio Mk2 to make 2 TR suitable units my own.

The work well and relaible, no modifications on battery or generator is needed.

But to get it in the car the hole dashboard has to be out! This is not the case on a hydraulic unit.

And I'm pretty shure the Holden / EZ Powersteering unit does not work with a steering lock.

For this much more has to be modified than I can see on the photos.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
missing letter

Hi 

I have an "Easysteer" electric power steering kit on my early MK1 golf cabriolet which works really well it is adjustable and can be turned off completely to allow for any track driving etc, it is not possible to fit a mechanical kit as the gearchange linkage is fixed to the rack. they will do the alteration to the column. which I had done, they do kits for lots of classics, jaguars mg's etc..

Phil... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late update but I am going with Easysteer electric PAS.

I know a couple of TR owners who have the Hydraulic, both work OK but the POW relies on the speed of the engine so at low revs when PAS is required most with 195 tyres.

I will be going up and over Stelvio again next year and the hairpins will be a dream.

I spoke with another member who fits Hydraulic PAS for the company he works for and he said electric is the way to go because of the low revs issue. Also no cutting out on the bulkhead with electric.

Only drawback with Easysteer is they are in Chorley and only do supply and fit over 2 days but hey look on the bright side a short train journey and you are in Blackpool for a short break.

Happy days.

3 hours ago, Paul Garvey said:

Sorry for the late update but I am going with Easysteer electric PAS.

I know a couple of TR owners who have the Hydraulic, both work OK but the POW relies on the speed of the engine so at low revs when PAS is required most with 195 tyres.

I will be going up and over Stelvio again next year and the hairpins will be a dream.

I spoke with another member who fits Hydraulic PAS for the company he works for and he said electric is the way to go because of the low revs issue. Also no cutting out on the bulkhead with electric.

Only drawback with Easysteer is they are in Chorley and only do supply and fit over 2 days but hey look on the bright side a short train journey and you are in Blackpool for a short break.

Happy days.

I did go into the pros and cons of the easysteer electrical system years ago for a customer on a TR6 and rejected it on the grounds of the alterations they wanted to do to the bulkhead mounting bracket, I considered it to be a step too far as regards the strength of the fitment, also they wanted a 40 amp feed for it too. I know the hydraulic system seems to be a good set up and there are quite a few people on here that have it and are happy with it.

Stuart.

Hi Paul,

don’t worry anything electrical.

The EPS never needs more than 4 A, this is never more than 50 Watt and the amount it supports you.

A standard fuse, battery and generator/alternator will do the job.

Wishing you much joy on the Stelvio!

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
16 hours ago, stuart said:

I did go into the pros and cons of the easysteer electrical system years ago for a customer on a TR6 and rejected it on the grounds of the alterations they wanted to do to the bulkhead mounting bracket, I considered it to be a step too far as regards the strength of the fitment, also they wanted a 40 amp feed for it too. I know the hydraulic system seems to be a good set up and there are quite a few people on here that have it and are happy with it.

Stuart.

Hi

I have spoken with them previously and they don't cut anything out. They use the original steering column and as you say the car needs a decent output from the alternator which mine has.

In  the local group that I am in 1 person was almost the first to fit the CCD and he sold the TR5 a few years ago but he swears by CCD, but the member whose car I looked at the CCD set up in has had issues.

I am still on the electric side with minimal additions under the bonnet etc.

Instead of all the complexity, has anyone considered just changing tyres to a more driver friendly tread/compound? We had a Caterham for 21+ years until we became the keepers of our '73 TR 6 and as Caterhams don't have PS, tyre brands/compounds/tread was a known challenge to better steering at low speeds.

Sometimes we complicate things too much was the general consensus in the Se7en community. Many went to Avon ZV3s or Toyo 888s and reported phenominally better handling. Only downside some have reported is the tyres wear a bit more than conventional tyres.

Just an observation...from a new-ish owner who sometimes struggles to turn car at low speeds too!

2 hours ago, Paul Garvey said:

Hi

I have spoken with them previously and they don't cut anything out. They use the original steering column and as you say the car needs a decent output from the alternator which mine has.

In  the local group that I am in 1 person was almost the first to fit the CCD and he sold the TR5 a few years ago but he swears by CCD, but the member whose car I looked at the CCD set up in has had issues.

I am still on the electric side with minimal additions under the bonnet etc.

Really? That’s not the response I had from them when I enquired. They wanted to remove the existing bulkhead bracket and replace it with the one illustrated below that they sent me as a sample. I declined as I don’t think it’s strong enough. Plus they would still have to cut the original column to add the motor drive.
Stuart 

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

Edited by stuart