Hi all anyone have ideas as to why my gear lever omits a hissing sound  on the 4a ? If l rest my hand on top of the gear lever it alters the noise and becomes quieter. I have a feeling it’s going to be a gearbox overhaul any thoughts?

Chris

There is an "anti rattle" (anti hiss?) ballbearing and spring  somewhere on the lower part of the gear lever.

Could that be not working properly?

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D

Possibly just a worn anti-rattle spring and/ or plunger, at the base of the gearstick. 

(Edit  - snap!)

Items 34 and 35 here

gbx.thumb.jpg.468f9059585f118667210f405eaaefd3.jpg

Edited by RobH

I think you would get more of a "rattle" than a hiss if that spring / plunger were missing, & only at certain revs.

Could just be that the meshing gears are getting a bit worn. Does not indicate imminent failure though.

Bob

5 minutes ago, trchris said:

Update would you believe it turned out to be a aftermarket wooden gear knob exchanged with an old original 6 one l have and noise disappeared now looking for an original 4a gear knob

Chris

£14.40 plus postage for my reproduction black spherical gear knob.     Pt no 131246

IMG_1678.jpeg

Remember the golden rule. ‘If something goes wrong then check the last item you fixed or fitted’. 
Keith