Help removing heater control knob please

I have managed to remove all but one of the control knobs from the switch plinth on my 5 project without too much trouble, however the heater fan control knob will not budge! I can feel the sprung button moving when I depress it but there is no sign of the knob moving off the shaft. I don’t think that it is glued… does anybody have any bright ideas please. I am hoping to re-use the original switches! 
Many thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim T
Typo

Hi Tim

Bath of penetrating oil for a day or two?

Ultra sonic bath/cleaner?

Andy

Hi Tim, 

I have one that also refuses to come off unless I use the fattest pin that will fit in the hole (an allen key works sometimes) and push it in hard. I have to push and pull to get it off.

Some sweating and light cursing also required. 

Regards

Toby  

As said above, try and get some oil in there. I wrapped an oil soaked cloth around the knob and left it for a few days. If you’re able to twist it so the pin hole is on top that helps. Also, sometimes it sticks because the greater pressure for the last fifty years or whatever has been applied by the pulling motion. Try gripping the spline and gently tapping the knob forward. Have to say, took me a week but it eventually worked.

Thanks all, sounds like a lot of patience required then!

Will resume tomorrow ....

Tim

+ 1 Don't look at the price, just look at what it does for you.

Mick Richards

Is this some rare snake oil to only be removed from the locked cabinet in case of emergency when all else has failed or is it really worth the money over Plus Gas?

Andy

18 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

+ 1 Don't look at the price, just look at what it does for you.

Mick Richards

That’s exactly what I did Mick! I will reconsider and perhaps invest!
Tim

Andy, It says on the tin " Loosens the toughest, stuck together metal parts - or your money back" I've never yet asked for my money back.

Aerokroil.thumb.JPG.a1df6f0ec3434c49b60810012a44eb59.JPG

I think the line on the can that says "For cleaning guns, rifle barrels parts and tools " probably gives a clue, spray it near a joint line and it positively sprints into it and disappears, I think it's based heavily on a gun oil formulation, and for me it works.

I last paid £17 for a standard sized aerosol and I'll do the same again when it's used up, you use whatever "snake oil" you want.

Mick Richards

PS: Stuart thinks it's good as well.

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Fair enough comment Mick I'll treat myself and give it a go better than perhaps breaking things.

39 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Andy, It says on the tin " If it don't work - your money back" I've never yet asked for my money back.

I last paid £17 for a standard sized aerosol and I'll do the same again when it's used up, you use what you want.

Mick Richards

PS: Stuart thinks it's good as well.

Just ordered some on the wife’s Amazon account by mistake :)

50 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I last paid £17 for a standard sized aerosol and I'll do the same again when it's used up, you use whatever "snake oil" you want.

I couldn't find any that cheap.

Pete

Just now, stillp said:

I couldn't find any that cheap.

Pete

I reckon it was maybe 3 years ago when I last bought it, no idea what the cost is now, I'd better start saving.

Mick Richards

Aerokroil - Loosens Frozen Metal Parts!

An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens
rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc.
Penetrates to 1 millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust.
Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps.

£29.98 on e bay. from UK seller. item number 173226386460 

Mick Richards

It's clear from what Mick says that Kroil will free any and everything, but is really expensive.

However, Plus Gas is available in aerosol and in liquid form from Screwfix (328HT) at £5.29.

Ian Cornish

Well I am going to give the Kroil a try and will see what happens. This YouTube test didn't fill me with confidence though. Many thanks for all views.

Tim