Removing injectors for rebuild (newbie question)

Good afternoon!

I've spoken with Mike Bilney and am going to remove my fuel injectors to send to him for a rebuild/refresh of rings, etc...

I suspect given they've clogged a fair few times they've got junk in them. I've taken a look at the Big Brown Bible (the Triumph repair guide) and cannot make sense of how/what to do in which order so I don't screw up. Hopefully someone here can spend 2 mins and validate if I've got this right in my head.

1. get a glass jar and a sharpie (to mark injector #)

2. remove(and label #) fuel line from injectors (in a pair), drain any excess petrol into glass jar

3. remove central bolt

4. get open end spanner to free from intake manifold

5. pull each injector free from retaining plate

6. label, put in a box (to send to Mike)

7. repeat until I've got all 6 out

Am I missing anything or do I have this worked out right? Photo of one of my injector pairs is below.

88BE533D-036F-4257-ADD7-859624AF9E53_1_105_c.jpeg3BD93F7C-1E4E-4018-9410-9AC3BE1D82B5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7dcf3fa7ee2cdc562e7e69254b96fd02.jpeg

Edited by Steve-B

Hi Steve and welcome to TR6 ownership. 

Yes you are on the money with your description. In practice it shouldn't matter which injector is fitted as they should all be returned cleaned and set to the same operating pressure. Marking the injector lines will help to make sure they are in the correct place. 

Once the retaining plates are out, they should just pull out by hand.

Gareth

Yes its a simple job.

one potential complexity is there are 2 types of injector, push fit and screw in

this just refers to how the injector fits into the white plastic holder.

many cars, mine included, ended up with a mixture….. so when i had them refurbished i asked for a set of all push fit to be returned.

this just makes maint simpler in the future , the injectors are the same apart from the mounting.

good luck !

steve

Steve,

The injector is seated in the throttle body in a plastic (nylon?) ring, with O-rings around the plastic. May come out with the injector.

The bolt that holds the retainer plate is a UNC - coarse thread.  As it should be in the alloy th.body.   but Triumph fitted rather short bolts, that only engage with the first few turns of thread.   This wears those.   Slightly longer bolts are available.

John

My injector lines have the cylinder numbers stamped on the square headed connectors. I like to preserve the condition of those injector nuts and I  find a 1/4 W spanner the best fit on the body and a 15mm on the connector line.

Australia Post is sensitive to shipping items smelling of petrol, so I wrap injectors and MU  components in an old towel prior to shipping.

Many thanks for your help guys. As I lived in Texas for a while I’m lucky to have Imperial and Metric spanner’s and sockets. 
Fingers crossed I have an easy go tomorrow!

Steve, in Texas, you are lucky (some would say the opposite - I disagree!) to have an engine with Lucas Pi!   I didn't think that Triumph ever sold cars so equipped to the US!   Is yours an later import?

Hi John, I live in So. Buckinghamshire, I was in Texas earlier in life.

:P Hence a mixed tool box :P

12 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Ah! So!  Which explains it!

Mr Chou En Ginsberg if I'm not mistaken,...where is Lotus Blossom ?

Mick Richards

On 3/11/2023 at 9:37 PM, Mike C said:

My injector lines have the cylinder numbers stamped on the square headed connectors. I like to preserve the condition of those injector nuts and I  find a 1/4 W spanner the best fit on the body and a 15mm on the connector line.

Australia Post is sensitive to shipping items smelling of petrol, so I wrap injectors and MU  components in an old towel prior to shipping.

I had the same problem with sending petrol parts in the post.

Got round it by putting the bits in Doggy Poo Bags the ones with a fragrance :D

Good luck

Mick..

Got round it by putting the bits in Doggy Poo Bags the ones with a fragrance 

New or used?!

I'll get my coat....

Bill 

I just heard from Mike Bilney who has our injectors. So our TR-6's previous owner who did the full restoration I've noticed in the picture may have only cleaned the engine and not had any parts serviced/updated.

"Initial assessment of your injectors would indicate they haven’t ever been serviced !!
Each one still has the little birds nest filter at the inlet which was later discarded by Lucas to avoid risk of clogging and/or creating a pressure drop affecting performance. If untouched, not surprising they are not performing as the should!"

4 hours ago, Steve-B said:

I just heard from Mike Bilney who has our injectors. So our TR-6's previous owner who did the full restoration I've noticed in the picture may have only cleaned the engine and not had any parts serviced/updated.

"Initial assessment of your injectors would indicate they haven’t ever been serviced !!
Each one still has the little birds nest filter at the inlet which was later discarded by Lucas to avoid risk of clogging and/or creating a pressure drop affecting performance. If untouched, not surprising they are not performing as the should!"

I assume Mark will rebuild the injectors using seals of Viton or other material compatible with modern fuels. I had a new MU diaphragm made of the original Nitrile fail in less than an hour.

Sharing the picture below for those who've never seen what is inside a the fuel injectors that Mike sent me.

Injectors dismantled and burnished. O-rings had completely deteriorated. All hard and brittle. No residual stress or elasticity left in them so would not have been sealing. Next step – fine lap valves to seats and reassemble checking residual torque on adjusters. Then replace O –rings, re-assemble and calibrate on Bench Tester.

IMG_2291.jpg.07134b39071b0163659bb01b2acf883b.jpg

Edited by Steve-B

I'm very pleased to report it was a doodle to refit the refurbished injectors this afternoon. Following Mike's instructions of priming the injectors full of fuel it too a few goes to get it started, but it is idling far better and came up to speed normally. All the injector lines had a good strong pulse, except #1 which may just need a good blat out to reset.

I was recommended to go to Mike Bilney and am happy. In case someone needs their injectors refurbished, he was prompt, communicated well and you should be happy. Mike is reachable on

+44 (0) 1580 712762 or +44 (0) 7809 061 245 email mrph.bilney@btinternet.com