I hear on the news that coal-fired power stations are today being fired up to cope with an anticipated possible shortfall in electrical power in the cold weather coming.  This site shows the grid's real-time demand and supplies; http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Now, where did I put the candles......

Peter

1 minute ago, Peter V W said:

That’s good news, I can charge my EV tonight!

until the charger is switched off remotely ? and the grid then drains it....................?

4 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

This site shows the grid's real-time demand and supplies

I went to have a look and was a bit disapointed.

I assumed that the needles would be jumping around like my sidescreen fuel gauge going down a rockey road.

Charlie

2 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I went to have a look and was a bit disapointed.

I assumed that the needles would be jumping around like my sidescreen fuel gauge going down a rockey road.

Charlie

Its when the demand needle his the red we can expect action. Reducing demand by eg Tesco switching off its refrigeration isn't shown in the data. Then a lowering of frequency will lower demand. After that its rolling blackouts.

The page has to be refreshed to update it. 5pm Wednesday , Thursday could be interesting.

Peter

Apparently there has been minimal contribution from wind and solar!

As an aside, friends have just installed solar panels. To my surprise, once their battery is full, they get no credit for what then flows into the grid. They have calculated it will take 17 years to recoup their investment even with todays prices. Assuming this is correct, doesn’t seem to be much incentive to go solar. 

Miles

I am just imagining a TR dashboard with a row of meters similar to those on the grid watch site so you could monitor power consumption for each electrical item on your car. If your battery is running low then you could see which things you could switch off to conserve power. Hours of fun guaranteed.

Must keep taking the tablets!

Keith

6 hours ago, MilesA said:

Apparently there has been minimal contribution from wind and solar!

As an aside, friends have just installed solar panels. To my surprise, once their battery is full, they get no credit for what then flows into the grid. They have calculated it will take 17 years to recoup their investment even with todays prices. Assuming this is correct, doesn’t seem to be much incentive to go solar. 

Miles

Just down the road there is a huge solar farm that has appeared during the past couple of years or so. Who is getting the benefit heaven knows, certainly no decrease in bills of any sort for us! Maybe it is the lucky farmer who sold his field(s) for it! Recently worked out a rough costing for solar panels (assuming planning permission granted in our conservation area) & it gave me a figure of at least 10 years to recoup! No incentive I am afraid!

22 hours ago, monty said:

Just down the road there is a huge solar farm that has appeared during the past couple of years or so. Who is getting the benefit heaven knows, certainly no decrease in bills of any sort for us! Maybe it is the lucky farmer who sold his field(s) for it! Recently worked out a rough costing for solar panels (assuming planning permission granted in our conservation area) & it gave me a figure of at least 10 years to recoup! No incentive I am afraid!

It's an interesting one this! I am monitoring my situation as I am keen on new technologies.

Last year we sold our farm and downsized, therefore we had a bit of cash that we could have either spent frivolously, saved or invested. As the last new car that I had bought was my Scimitar in 1980, we had earmarked some money for a new car. We could have bought petrol/diesel, or a hybrid, but chose a full electric car for our everyday usage.....along with this we invested in solar panels, battery back up and a load of smart electronics to control our electricity usage. Total cost, including the excess over a petrol car, £24,000 approx. Note: we also heat by oil (costs not included).

Prior to installation, we were spending approx £2,500 per year on our old volvo including servicing and fuel (not including tyres etc.) We also had an electricity bill (in the new house for first four months) prorated to approx. £2,000 per year. Total per year of approx. £4,500.

Now, even though we haven't yet had a summer of selling our excess electricity (which would bring the cost down by a yet to be seen figure) we are prorated spending £800 per year on electricity including when I need to charge the car from the power company, not my generated power. Add that to the car plus it's servicing (as above...not including tyres etc.) which is £300 per 2 year service interval....... makes total per year of approx. £25,000.

So, by my calculation, assuming a new car was to be bought, the break even period is just over 5 years without the electricity buy back which will reduce this. I know this purely fits my situation and not everyone's but I am pleasantly suprised!