My daughter-in-Law has a Land Rover Freelander 2. The wipers stopped and she has trouble driving at the moment. The local garage have explained that it is an electrical problem and are quoting a Body Control Unit for a four figure sum plus fitting.  The car reg. no.is P17RDE. 

The local Land Rover agent has offered a plug in diagnosis for £200. Has anyone any experience of Body Control Units and is there any company who could overhaul/ repair the existing one ?

Please offer some help asap because my son is coming Saturday, late afternoon , to borrow my car and take it away for a least two weeks.

Thanks Richard & B

I would get onto one of the Landrover forums asap. There are a few.

see if you have a local off road club

failing that a local 4x4 independent garage or workshop. 
good luck

Hi

Just some thoughts

It's unlikely to be the body control unit itself, this module will operate/control the wiper motor.

There will likely be a stored code (OBD code) in the module which could help in diagnosing the fault

I guess you have tried the obvious i.e fuses, broken wires, wiring connectors loose, etc

There are many good  independants about which would read the codes and OBD readers that you could get yourself for less than £200.

Chris

I think I'd first check out the wiper motor rack to see if nothing has seized by disconnecting it from the motor and at the same time unplug its electrical plug and feed it a separate 12v and earth to see if the motor will actually run. I can't see why a body control unit would run the wiper system but with modern cars you never known.

If it is the culprit then an independent diagnostic OBD check is the way to go and then get one from a scrapper if required and refit yourself unless it has to be coded to the ecu in an effort for the dealers to extract some more cash out of you. 

As said have a look on some Land Rover forums they will most likely have the answers.

Keep us posted.

Andy

Just had another look for you

on the elec side there is a relay that can fail. 
then the stalk switch may need clean connections or new switch.

mechanically the mechanism can come apart ( but I guess you’d still hear the motor ?)

Stalk replacement 

£200 is ridiculous. Even my very greedy Audi dealer only charges £60 for this. You can buy an Autel 200 and a phone app for about £70. It does all the Landrover diagnostic functions including the BC electronics. I bought one for my Discovery to code new keys and it’s saved me a fortune since. In fact at £300 per key it payed for itself 5x over on day 1.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-Bluetooth-Scanner-Systems-Diagnoses/dp/B07QCT1PC5/ref=asc_df_B07QCT1PC5/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226557876382&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6252294922831618573&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006735&hvtargid=pla-765077803134&psc=1

Hi Richard

I have a dedicated Landrover code reader which I was going to put on eBay now I’ve sold the car. I’m sure we can work out a mates price if it works and you want to buy it.

Unfortunately I’m in Argentina until next Wednesday, so would be towards the end of the week before we could sort something out.

Nigel

Thanks to all the members who've helped. If the Freelander was here in East Sussex I would be out in the garden and start taking it apart. Hamish uTube is very helpful and I will show it to my son when he arrives at 9.30 tonight. 

He will borrow my Passat for a couple of weeks while he finds someone in Wellington, Somerset who could carry out these straight forward repairs. He works long hours and was never very good with a screwdriver. I am keen to try but Wellington is too far away.

We must have some TR members in his part of the country, best would be Sampford Arundel. If there are any TR owners near please send me a message with any reliable local contact for Land Rover repairs.

Thanks for the advice Richard & B

If the Freelander is nearing its trip to the scrapper I would hot wire the motor. Disconnect the motor and feed it 12 volts via a fuse and dash switch. Declare the mod to insurers.

Peter