Turning ‘Oilite’     

I have a project that requires truncating ‘Oilite’ material on the lathe.    I need to consistently reduce an overall length to an accurate size on a quantity of flanged bushes.   and no the correct size is only available to special order with moq of 1000.

Has any one any practical experience of doing this?  
My research finds.      **GT inserts, they are so sharp and cut cleanly, the "chips" come away and do not smear.    Use as sharp a tool as possible

Problem is, I was expecting to use an HSS parting tool for speed and limited cuts.   Perhaps  If I go the VCGT route I will get similar results.   NB The wall thickness to cut is only 1/8” (3.2mm)  I am expecting a floor to floor time of 2 minutes including de burr,  and measurement.  The collet to hold is already made.

Ideally I do not want to use cutting fluid/coolant as that adds the process of cleaning and re oiling the bushes.   (Completely degrease, Soak in SAE30 oil at 80 c and allow to cool) 

Cheers

Peter W

C23F151E-C0BD-426A-BA57-1B0C0B61B473.jpeg

Looks like you found the model engineer website Peter.  Have you seen this? :

http://www.lm-tarbell.com/machining_sintered_bronze.htm

I've never done it but just a thought - the material isn't very strong even for clamping in a collet,  are you going to have a spigot to support the bore?  

13 minutes ago, RobH said:

Looks like you found the model engineer website Peter.  Have you seen this? :

http://www.lm-tarbell.com/machining_sintered_bronze.htm

I've never done it but just a thought - the material isn't very strong even for clamping in a collet,  are you going to have a spigot to support the bore?  

Thank you.  Yes Model Engineering sites are a positive mine of info.   Sadly there is a lot of     “Yes,  I need to do that too” or.  “I use brass cutting tools with zero rake but have never machined ‘Oilite’ “.  

If you want a game try machining Phosphor bronze!  Like cheese some grades, like stellite others.  The common hassle is the hard skin, like raw cast iron has, peppered with bits of foundry sand.  Not to mention it’s desire to jam tools in holes if drilling or reaming.

IM Tarbell - They are a company I am aware of but have not asked for the specific bushing to be made.   They do not list the length of bush I need, only one correct in all dimensions but length.  The longer one is the one I can truncate.

I have made an internal bore holding collet from silver steel bar.  It spreads and grips the bush id by tightening an internal, long tapered screw.

A bit like this which did another bush job.

08468E4E-DDAE-4F92-822E-D5C088D7302F.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I'm not sure a cutoff tool would be the best choice, but don't know why a very sharp HSS tool wouldn't be as good or better than carbide.

I wonder if one of those inexpensive USB microscopes could be used to check the before/after surface porosity?

Ed

Edited by ed_h

If it is a sleeve bearing which is just being shortened, the cut end is probably of no importance for porosity.  Different if you were cutting the actual bearing surface though. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

If it is a sleeve bearing which is just being shortened, the cut end is probably of no importance for porosity.  Different if you were cutting the actual bearing surface though. 

I understood they were flanged bushes and he was reducing thickness of the flange.

Ed

Edited by ed_h

+ 1  muscle power rocks !

Mick Richards

The HSS parting blade went dull after a couple of bushes and needed re stoning.  The TCT tool worked a treat after 2 hours of turning.    It  is still sharp but I have ordered a new box of tips for next time.   

First batch finished and all within tolerance of plus 0 minus 0.005”

Hacksaw and file would work but a lot of hit and miss to get dimensions to drawing.  

Single lathe cut followed by de burring gives exactly correct and repeatable results.  100% measurement done.

Does anyone need any Oilite washers?

357A57C4-823B-4C40-8480-FC41B6A47995.jpeg

FFF81922-C711-4407-834B-8859DFDF712D.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
34 minutes ago, Adam Blackaby said:

Peter,

they look very nice, but (excuse my ignorance in advance) , I've forgotten the appication?

Adam

You are the same boat as me then.  I do not know their application.  The customer sent me a drawing, sample and free issue components to modify.