Concours vs refurbished

Hi all,

Having just got my TRaction copy have looked into a few 6's for sale. One which catches the eye is the ex Dave Lewis concours car. The seller has sent me photos and, as you'd expect, it looks a beauty.

My dilema is that getting a concours car I guess means total originality - ie. no uprated brakes, suspension etc etc. and, though the price is in my range, I'm obviously paying a premium for the concours/originality aspect. Also one would want to maintain it in that condition. On the other hand, it's a very well maintained 'nearly new' condition car and if compared to others which are a couple of thou less, tends to knock them into a cocked hat.

So....any advice on buying a concours 6 for non-concours use? I work from home and don't do many miles at all now so I won't be thrashing it or anything but will want to use it regularly and don't want to be too precious about rain etc.

Also, do people tend to use dust covers and de-humidifiers for garaged cars?

Much really depends on the price you're having to pay in the first place.

As an example, There is an e type for sale.....one of the last 50 in black and concours champion of champion winner, a well known car that as you would expect is absolutely stunning....£125,000.

Next to it is the same car but 50000, beautifully clean but useable £75,000 (still possibly too expensive)

As soon as the former car is used....even lightly, it's going to be worth £75,000. So unless you're going to keep a concours car "concours" you're probably wasting money albeit sustantially less the the daft example I have given but it demonstrates my theory.

Good luck

Guest d johnson

I have been searching for a TR6. I have concluded that unless you have a limit on funds that it is not worth looking at cars under 10K A car must have had a full rebuild and record photos to prove it. Original low mileage cars seem a nice idea, but what is going on in those private little places. Low use and long time is not conducive to good mechanical condition. 1o to 11k should get a good car, but not all are good at this price. To pay 14k for one that seems as good as this may be a very good deal. In my view they should though be nurtured, or you might as well buy a modern. Mine will not go out in the rain and will be kept in a heated garage.It will though be regularly used.

To me 'Concourse' means Lucas fuel pump, paper oil filter element without return valve, rubber suspension bushes, standard front anti-sway bar, armstrong lever rear shocks, sealed beam headlamps, lesser tyres, no oil cooler, no immobiliser etc etc.

I converted a LHD carby to a RHD PI, uprated it, improved the performance and reliability and correspondingly increased enjoyment factor of driving the car.

Itsabitsa and it's great (and I'm only slightly neurotic about leaving it parked in public).

If I sold it, I may get the money back that I put into it, but would not be paid for the time invested. That's irrelevant to me as I don't plan to sell it, and as time goes on it becomes the best 'bang for buck' I have invested in.

All that said, if I was to do it again, I would probably buy a solid, original, well looked after car and gradually do the uprating route as replacements were needed or the practicalities demanded.

I have been searching for a TR6. I have concluded that unless you have a limit on funds that it is not worth looking at cars under 10K

I think it depends on what you want from TR ownership. If you just want a car to admire and polish, then pay £10k or more. On the other hand if satisfaction comes from fiddling about with it, taking pride in improving it (how else do we get a stock of £10k cars?) and not being frightened to drive it in the UK climate, then pay less. Either way it will be great fun to drive and own.

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies.

Things have moved on and I have gone for COV897K, as advertised in this months mag! It's not entered concours events since '98 and has been used, but still looks to be in the same condition (a classic assesments inspection will confirm this this week) - ie. it's been looked after. Though done to orig spec, it has been completely rebuilt by Dave Lewis from being a basket case, so it's going to be very well done.

I shall be using it sparingly and have decided it would definitely be unwise to do so in the 'season of salt and grit'.....but I would take it out on a wet road if needs be. Yeah, I'm not currently much of an oily rag bloke but could well get into that - previously had a spitfire which I tinkered with a bit....but with this standard of car, I'll get the pros to service it....and yes, I'll be doing a bit of polishing/posing no doubt but driving the beast is the name of the game :)

Any advice on best car covers to get? Also best place for a mota lita wood rimmed wheel - seen Rimmers do them for £150. Also, heater/dehumidifier in the garage advised?

Congratulations on getting COV897K. I must admit that I saw this vehicle for sale previously, and had always regretted not going for it at that time.

I agree with a lot of the comments above. I acquired a 6 in the recent past (my Alfa 156 threw its cambelt and was disposed of subsequent to being repaired), very nicely rebuilt almost to concours, but with the intention of it being a daily driver rather than a "weekender". It will be undersealed, wax injected etc and will get modded as required to support its new purpose in life. The shell, chassis and interior are all essentially as new, the mechanicals are very good too, and the price I paid acknowledged that. Just jump in,drive and service regularly, the real alternative to buying another euro biscuit tin, and even with wear and tear won't lose value like the Alfa did. (£7000 in three years)

It's a shame it isn't dark blue though..............

Oh, and by the way......wooden rimmed steering wheels splinter when they break. This is not good news for you in an RTA. Get a leather-covered one.

Steve, is this the car that was rebuilt for the magazine articles?

Hmm interesting point on the splintering wheels!

Hi Simon, it appeared in Bill Piggot's 'bible' on restoration and is also, I've just noticed, the car example for the colour Sapphire on the TR6 facts page of the register - before getting wires and a smart dark blue mohair hood. Not sure about mag articles. It comes with a cd rom of what Dave Lewis had on his website all about the rebuild. All being well I collect next Monday and then have a nice run down from Cumbria....can't wait.

Hi all,

Having just got my TRaction copy have looked into a few 6's for sale. One which catches the eye is the ex Dave Lewis concours car. The seller has sent me photos and, as you'd expect, it looks a beauty.

My dilema is that getting a concours car I guess means total originality - ie. no uprated brakes, suspension etc etc. and, though the price is in my range, I'm obviously paying a premium for the concours/originality aspect. Also one would want to maintain it in that condition. On the other hand, it's a very well maintained 'nearly new' condition car and if compared to others which are a couple of thou less, tends to knock them into a cocked hat.

So....any advice on buying a concours 6 for non-concours use? I work from home and don't do many miles at all now so I won't be thrashing it or anything but will want to use it regularly and don't want to be too precious about rain etc.

Also, do people tend to use dust covers and de-humidifiers for garaged cars?

Hi Steve, we've already spoken by email as you know. When I sold COV to the chap who sold it to you, I di keep it's offspring as you can see.

Looks like the picture didn't attach, sorry.

If it's a Dave Lewis car it has probably been used (unlike many concours cars) & whilst not loaded up with uprated parts & go-faster goodies it will have been driven & probably not suffer some of the woes that affect unused cars.

That said Dave has lived in Spain for the last couple of years so might not have been used too much recently.

If it's a Dave Lewis car it has probably been used (unlike many concours cars) & whilst not loaded up with uprated parts & go-faster goodies it will have been driven & probably not suffer some of the woes that affect unused cars.

That said Dave has lived in Spain for the last couple of years so might not have been used too much recently.

Indeed andy...had a long chat with Dave on Skype - nice chap. The car has not done many miles since it left him but seems to have been kept in the same top condition - Brian from Classic Assesments was very impressed....infact I think he'd like it himself on the quiet :)

Off up to get her Monday, providing the weather's not dreadful....nice.

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the late reply, spent a few days away in Andalucia, got back yesterday.

Congratulations on your purchase of COV. I hope you get the same enjoyment out of it as it gave me.

All the best,

Dave Lewis

Dave, I just can't believe it, you sold this car :blink: what's going on , btw I missed you at the Euro-Meet....

Regards

Jean

Hi Jean,

I sold it about three years ago, A TR6 OK was not getting used and as it was my first 6 I decided to sell COV. I was at the Berlin Euro meeting in ATR6 last year, she still runs great. Regarding Holland another long drive, I didn't fancy. I will propably go to the Italian meeting.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Jean,

I sold it about three years ago, A TR6 OK was not getting used and as it was my first 6 I decided to sell COV. I was at the Berlin Euro meeting in ATR6 last year, she still runs great. Regarding Holland another long drive, I didn't fancy. I will propably go to the Italian meeting.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave et al,

Had a nice trip down from The Lakes in COV....she runs like a dream and the underneath/chassis are like a new pin....so down to me to keep her like that!

Maybe we'll take a run down to Spain one day and I'll pop in :)