Triumph Tr4A/5/6 rear camber measuring

Hi Guys,

Having let the camber on the rear of my Rebuilt 4A settle, I have been remeasuring using the right angle square method against the tyre and noting the top and bottom measurement to the rim and doing the calculation. ie 57.3 x (the top dim - bottom dim) / rim diameter to give the camber angle. All very well as long as you have a perfectly flat garage floor to sit the square on and is open to measurement errors.

As an alternative, has anyone used a Camber measuring tool as available on E-bay which is magnetically attached to the wheel rim at the centre and uses the sprit level principle to give the camber angle. Obviously care should be taken to position the gauge on the vertical centre line to avoid incorrect readings and the car needs to be on a flat surface.

Seems a useful tool at around £12, but only good for steel wheels, not wires.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I use a laser for that, it is very accurate, and independent of the floor condition (as long as the car is “flat”).

The laser shows a vertical and a horizontal line. I used the vertical line for camber.

The horizontal line I used for toe-in, both front and rear.

Waldi

Hi Waldi/Mike,

The laser sounds good, but I imagine not cheap to buy.  Yes, I have seen a Youtube video of using a bubble app on your phone but does not seem very accurate at it does not give any indicator for horizontal.

The type I am asking about include both vertical and horizontal spirit level indicators and is held firmly by the magnet.

E-bay item 133938550232

Rich

Rich that looks to be a good bit of kit

when I did the front end of my 3a I used one like this with great success in the docs. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164538374469?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Kjik4aRkTZm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=33-Tg7STSaq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I already had one on the shelf  and plenty of options on  eBay 

3 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Waldi/Mike,

The laser sounds good, but I imagine not cheap to buy.  Yes, I have seen a Youtube video of using a bubble app on your phone but does not seem very accurate at it does not give any indicator for horizontal.

The type I am asking about include both vertical and horizontal spirit level indicators and is held firmly by the magnet.

E-bay item 133938550232

Rich

Thing is with those is youve got to take the wheel off and stick it on the hub, when you jack it up your not going to get a laden on the road reading.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Point taken, but this device can be magnetically fixed to the flat area of a steel wheel between the wheel studs with the weight of the car on a flat surface. The steel wheel is what any optical or laser device would be fixed too anyway.

Obviously not good for wire wheels, but I believe that Revingtons change to steel wheels temporarily if doing a 4 wheel alignment to be able to use their equipment?

Regards

Rich

5 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Waldi/Mike,

E-bay item 133938550232

Rich

Hi Rich,

the one I used costed aprox. 30 euro’s.

Before ordering, check the specified accuracy, they can be within 0.5 mm/m, even at this price.

No need to take the wheel off too, just  park the car on level ground (you could even use the laser to verify levelness of 4 marked area’s on the ground where the car will be parked.

Good luck,

Waldi

B5F8E634-6355-4280-95C3-AFAE978264D7.jpeg

I have a cheap laser device from Lidl that allied to an adjustable spirit level will give me an answer to within 1/4 deg. I used to use the same device for checking toe in. Cost about a tenner. I even have spare if you are interested. 

Rgds Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info Ian. However, I decided to purchase one of the magnetic camber gauges that are readily available online. I chose an aluminium made one which at £12 delivered is excellent value.

Initial idea of magnetically attaching between the wheel studs of my steel wheels of my 4A did not work as the diameter of the magnet housing was too large. So, I made up a standoff plate bolted to 2 of the wheel studs with spacers.

As the pictures below shows the plate and the device attached. The 2 studs should be horizontal and the device vertical and horizontal as seen by the inbuilt spirit level.

Simply read off the camber angle, simples! Works for me :D.

Rich

20221026_141351.jpg

20221026_141130.jpg

20221026_141113.jpg

On 10/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, Ian Vincent said:

I have a cheap laser device from Lidl that allied to an adjustable spirit level will give me an answer to within 1/4 deg. I used to use the same device for checking toe in. Cost about a tenner. I even have spare if you are interested. 

Rgds Ian

I've done exactly that and feel the accuracy is adequate for a road car.

Nigel