I’m still looking for a good replacement passenger door for my project 5, but plan B is to re skin the door I have, question is should I use sealant between the door skin and the frame and if so which one.

TIA Graham 

Hi Graham

For what its worth and they might have been reskinned incorrectly by the PO no sealer was used.

When I had the door edges/seams blasted the bottom of the shells were rotten so I repaired the whole lengths of the bottom of the shells and used lead to seal the seam from the outside and filled the seams inside with Bonda rust paint then seam sealed over the top followed with wax. Time consuming but hopefully I won't have to revisit them anytime soon.

I also made the drainage holes bigger.

Andy

Coat the flat edge of the frame that faces the skin with Bondarust and the skin inside the the edge where the two will sit together. Once you have folded the edge over and welded it in the relevant places then paint the folded edge with Bondarust and once dry seam seal the edge. Then paint. Be very careful how you fit the skin as its very easy to get wrong, make sure the window aperture is correctly finished and the gap is even all along plus properly welded at each end. Also make sure that the internal folds of the window aperture are vertical so the weather strips fit OK.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 326.jpg

Tonys TR6 327.jpg

Assuming the current door fit is good, make a template of the bottom edge shape by standing the door on a flat board and drawing around the edge of the door. This gives you a reference to work to whilst reskinning and welding up