Sluggish Overdrive

Good Morning Everyone,

I noticed at the weekend that my OD has become very slow (up to 30 seconds) to engage and disengage. This came on very suddenly, it was fine last week.

Apart from the slowness it seems to work correctly with no noises or other problems.

Is there a standard fix for this problem?

The GB & OD share the oil.

Underneath the OD there is a large Brass  'eared'  nut. Drain the oil using the square GB oil drain first. Then undo the Brass nut. It can be messy.

The Brass nut and filter should drop away together. Watch out for the magnetic particle rings.

Roger

5 minutes ago, FatJon said:

Where do I find the OD oil filter

Its the big brass plug on the bottom of the overdrive (assuming A type).  This old thread explains.  If it's only done that low mileage it should be OK but who knows? Yes the oil is shared with the gearbox:

On 9/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, FatJon said:

Good Morning Everyone,

I noticed at the weekend that my OD has become very slow (up to 30 seconds) to engage and disengage. This came on very suddenly, it was fine last week.

Apart from the slowness it seems to work correctly with no noises or other problems.

Is there a standard fix for this problem?

Which type of overdrive?

FJ...

If it is a Type A Laycock de Normanville Overdrive fitted to yours it will engage in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears - with the later J Type it only engages in 3rd and 4th.

To remove the castellated brass drain plug Overdrive Repair Services sell a very good special spanner that exactly fits the castellations, and comes recommended...see https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/buy-spares.php?cat=A Type Spare Parts List - part ORSSPN.  They also sell the mesh strainer basket oil filter ( 509884/OVD175) the castellated drain plug if yours is buggered (part 521814) and the magnetic washers (513205/OVD172) that sit inside the drain plug...

Enjoy!

Mark