Drive Block Sealer

I have a can of Jizer near the garage door and periodically I pour a small amount into a little tub and brush it onto the (few) oil stains left by my TR. Leave it for a while to soak in and put the hose on the stain. Job done. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

yes I can see that working.

At the moment the blocks have a coat of sealant. It all looks very smart and in theory there is some protection against oil staining.

However I am parking the TR's on tarpaulins just in case.   I must come up with a more permanent solution.

Roger 

5 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

yes I can see that working.

At the moment the blocks have a coat of sealant. It all looks very smart and in theory there is some protection against oil staining.

However I am parking the TR's on tarpaulins just in case.   I must come up with a more permanent solution.

Roger 

Roger - why don't you turn the car upside down:D

Cheers Rich

On 8/3/2022 at 8:12 AM, Gordon Bayley said:

you could always take up the block paving and  put down a layer of sand and newspaper  like the bottom of a parrots cage.:lol: 

Simplify the process...use Sandpaper:lol:

Don't forget the TR leaks downhill from the rear mains. There is NO physical seal between the inside of the engine and the atmosphere.

The rear scroll recycling system is set a couple of thou off the rear of the crank and skims the oil clinging to the spinning crank and feeds it forwards to drop in the sump, remarkably simple when set correctly and never wears out when fitted , nothing touches it except oil.

HOWEVER that is only when the engine runs. When the engine is at rest the oil spread around the inside of the block and over the crank surface drapes around the crank and if the car is parked upwards on a gradient the oil feeds through the 2 thou crank to scroll gap...and drops on your drive. Park the car with blocks or wedges a couple of inches high under the tyres and gravity refuses to let the oil run...uphill. Always try and park downhill and oil loss from the rear will be greatly reduced, although “The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”  In the 50s and 60s their attitude to oil spots and drips was greatly relaxed over todays angst to them. Any car without a positive rear seal system ( the Chris Marx seal behind the scroll is excellent) will always allow a few drips to exude there due to in engine pressure and general "slopping about" coating the area in use.

Mick Richards