My clutch slave cylinder movement is 5/8 inches, 16 mm and it works well. I had all kinds of gear change problems -grinding, jumping out of second gear under both hard acceleration and the over run etc- which I traced to a garage replacing the gearbox oil with GL5 . It took  two complete oil  GL4 to get the GL5 out of the gearbox.

That was years ago and all has been well since.

Hi All, and thanks for the continuing interest. 

Latest:  I fitted an adjustable rod to the master cylinder and eked out a little more travel.  It lifted the pedal slightly but it is pretty much in line with the brake pedal now. I've attached a video showing I now have reached the dizzy heights of 17, maybe 18mm of travel at the slave cylinder.  Full of renewed optimism I headed out for a drive.

Firstly, with the engine off I went through the gears. No problem. 

Started the engine, stayed stationary, through the gears, no problem. 

Headed off, went up the box, lovely, and on into overdrive.

Came to a corner, overdrive off, 4th to 3rd, no problem.  3rd to 2nd, would not go in.  Double declutch, no joy.  Wouldnt go into 1st either.  Had to chug round in 3rd.   

Came to a very slow crawl and just about got into second.  Stopped, ran through the gears while stationary, all OK.  Into 1st (a bit stiff) and on up the box as before.

So I have to conclude that this isn't a Clutch problem.  So is is a selector issue, or synchromesh, or something else?  

Very frustrating!

Hi, like I said drain the box oil and strain it, at leat you may get an indication of what may of gone wrong. Bits of metal in there and you know it’s box out time.

I think you have a problem something isn't happy inside your box.

Unfortunately you face having to take box out again to to strip and investigate but at least you have had a practice run!

Best of luck and keep us all posted as to the cause.

Andy

I can't open your video  unfortunately. The swarf might be normal if your G/B oil hasn't been changed for a while.

Check your gear lever isn't binding at the base where it enters the gearbox, especially if your engine/gearbox mounts are allowing a bit of movement of the drive train.

I'd check that  the gear lever gaiter wasn't binding and I'd also check that the gear cap at the base of the lever is properly adjusted and allowing the selectors to engage properly. In the past I've had to grind the internal edge of the cap to allow full and free movent of the lever.

Edited by Mike C
On 10/28/2023 at 7:43 PM, PLTR6 said:

Hi Kev, I've drained the oil......nothing in it, but a fair few shavings on the mag tipped drain plug and filler plug.  I'm assuming that isn't good.....see photo

281023.jpg

Paul - I've lost count of the number of gearboxes I've drained over the years, and your magnetic plugs don't strike me as that unusual. The thing I would be concerned about would be any unusual bits of a different size to the majority, none of which appear on your magnets - also given the selection problems you have been having, then some swarf is not that surprising.

Cheers Rich

On 10/28/2023 at 10:02 PM, Mike C said:

I can't open your video  unfortunately. The swarf might be normal if your G/B oil hasn't been changed for a while.

Check your gear lever isn't binding at the base where it enters the gearbox, especially if your engine/gearbox mounts are allowing a bit of movement of the drive train.

I'd check that  the gear lever gaiter wasn't binding and I'd also check that the gear cap at the base of the lever is properly adjusted and allowing the selectors to engage properly. In the past I've had to grind the internal edge of the cap to allow full and free movent of the lever.

Thanks Mike, I removed the gear lever and adjusted the two guide bolts as per the manual (they werent far off) and re=greased everywhere. Interestingly there was a rubber grommet under the cap, presumably to reduce vibration noise.  I removed it, noise is the least of my worries.    

I'm pretty sure I have full movement, so I went off for another test drive.  Same problem going down into 2nd.  Felt smooth otherwise though!

Next stop, remove the selector mechanism.  I did have it off during the rebuild, maybe something got dislodged.  Maybe a straw I can clutch.......

Cheers

Paul

On 10/29/2023 at 7:04 PM, CharlieBubbles said:

I had a recent problem where I either lost 1 and 2, or else 3 and 4. It was the interlock device which had shed a ball bearing, resulting in intermittent but regular problems when moving across the box from one of the three interlock rods to another. Could be a suspect; good news was we didn’t need to drop the box out.

Thanks Charlie,

I'll get the selector mech out next.  Was the missing ball bearing obvious?   

Paul

On 10/29/2023 at 7:23 PM, rcreweread said:

Paul - I've lost count of the number of gearboxes I've drained over the years, and your magnetic plugs don't strike me as that unusual. The thing I would be concerned about would be any unusual bits of a different size to the majority, none of which appear on your magnets - also given the selection problems you have been having, then some swarf is not that surprising.

Cheers Rich

Thanks Richard,

That swarf was over a relatively short period, but yes it was a problem period.  I'll carry on into the selector mech in the hope something leaps out at me.  Maybe I'll bring it to a Colchester meet!

Cheers

Paul

22 minutes ago, PLTR6 said:

Thanks Richard,

That swarf was over a relatively short period, but yes it was a problem period.  I'll carry on into the selector mech in the hope something leaps out at me.  Maybe I'll bring it to a Colchester meet!

Cheers

Paul

Paul - which bit? The plugs, the gearbox or the car!! :huh:

Seriously, bring it over to mine if that would help

Cheers Rich

PS I've got a spare top cover you could try

Edited by rcreweread