Pyrenese trip, we arived back Sunday, 2 weeks driving, just under a 1000 miles completed, car didn't miss a beat apart from getting to hot 

and blowing the expansion tank pipe, this was the result of driving at high altidude,  i belive due to the air being thiner the electric fan did not  work 100 percent, I suppose 40 degrees in the shade, second gear, 25 miles an hour did not help, views were spectacular, Andorra was amazing, not for the faint hearted this trip, I did find it challenging

Why dousnt the electric fan work properly at altidude, 

Pink

IMG-20220711-WA0145.thumb.jpg.bd5d8b4aaef695bc2e6d7a72b9133109.jpg

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Hi Pink

Just a thought higher altitude, lower atmospheric pressure, less oxygen = leaner mixture and increased engine coolant temps along within high ambient temp making cooling more problematic. If the radiator is std rather than triple core or slugged up to any degree it's also less likely to cope in hotter climes.

IIRC the mechanical PI has no facility to compensate for increased altitude unlike having a MAP sensor within a EFI system which can then alter the fuelling to suit.

Suspect she will be fine once back in UK but with the current heatwave predicted who knows!

Andy

I do not think the issue is the cooling fan

The TR6 has a high altitude metering unit specified.  It looked like this with twin capsules.  We certainly sold them as new parts when the were still available.

image.png.d15cfa6da5a956ed7689aa603dec872a.png

1 minute ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I do not think the issue is the cooling fan

The TR6 has a high altitude metering unit specified.  It looked like this with twin capsules.  We certainly sold them as new parts when the were still available.

image.png.d15cfa6da5a956ed7689aa603dec872a.png

You learn something new everyday !

A mechanical solution so why didn't Triumph fit these as std or was it just to save a few quid back in the day?

They must be a rare find today.

1 minute ago, PodOne said:

You learn something new everyday !

A mechanical solution so why didn't Triumph fit these as std or was it just to save a few quid back in the day?

They must be a rare find today.

They were fitted as standard to PI cars in high altitude areas according to parts supply information.

That's a bit harsh Neil, Pinks other post was on the other thread, it's pushing it a bit to research everybody's individual posting history before commenting on the current thread and post.

Mick Richards

Popping the bonnet to the safety catch would have helped with airflow, thats one of the reasons why the rally cars had the wing vents.

Stuart.

I suspect it could be mixture (on the 10 Countries there were a lot of fouled plugs at the top of the passess due to overly rich mixtures at altitude).

Even with better carburation power is also down (less O2) so engine has to work harder and so more heat.

Cooling capacity of air is also lower at altitude (why F1 cars add more louvres at the mexican GP).

thems the trials of high altitude!

Tim