Tinned fruit is a really healthy option on your cereal - or is it?

9 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

The frightening thing about this is we really don’t know what we are eating . If we didn’t find out about E223 ,and it was purely by accident that we did , my wife may not be here now . 
Kevin's list is unbelievable !!

Edited by Crawfie

Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you......

A sense of proportion is needed I feel.  Just because there may be a few 'suspect' ingredients - barring an actual allergy it probably isn't a problem provided you only eat those things now and then.  Most things have a threshold beneath which they are benign.  The experiments that show health problems usually involve force feeding some poor rodent at levels orders of magnitude greater than those  actually used in food. 

Anything taken in large quantities can be a problem.  You can overdose on caffein, liver can cause vitamin A toxicity, brazil nuts are not only radioactive - they  can cause seloniosis,  spinach can cause kidney failure, nutmeg is an hallucinogenic poison, green or sprouting potatoes contain the poison solanine, even too much water is bad for you. 

10 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Please elaborate !!!!

Well, Guanzhou wasn't too bad. A small boy about 10 - 12 years old asked me if I wanted to marry his sister for one hour. I laughed at that and asked him how old was his sister - he replied "Which sister you want"!

Wuhan was a different matter. The hotel, supposedly the best in the city, wasn't so much lacking in hygiene as failing to accept the very concept. Re-usable chopsticks that all had lipstick stains, caterpillars and slugs on any green vegetables, water with strange creatures swimming in it... At an end-of-meeting formal banquet, we were served a 'local delicacy', fish from the open sewer that is the Yangtze river, and told that the intestines of that fish (served whole, lightly steamed) were a special treat reserved for honoured guests. I declined, saying that it would be improper for the treat to go to anyone other than the eldest at the table - after that was translated, the mayor of Wuhan, who looked to be at least double my age, nodded in agreement, grabbed the fish guts and gobbled them down.

I could go on and on...

Pete

29 minutes ago, RobH said:

Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you......

A sense of proportion is needed I feel.  Just because there may be a few 'suspect' ingredients - barring an actual allergy it probably isn't a problem provided you only eat those things now and then.  Most things have a threshold beneath which they are benign.  The experiments that show health problems usually involve force feeding some poor rodent at levels orders of magnitude greater than those  actually used in food. 

Anything taken in large quantities can be a problem.  You can overdose on caffein, liver can cause vitamin A toxicity, brazil nuts are not only radioactive - they  can cause seloniosis,  spinach can cause kidney failure, nutmeg is an hallucinogenic poison, green or sprouting potatoes contain the poison solanine, even too much water is bad for you. 

As always ….the voice of reason !!

Mother nature has a wonderful way of sorting us out …one way or the other 

20 minutes ago, stillp said:

Well, Guanzhou wasn't too bad. A small boy about 10 - 12 years old asked me if I wanted to marry his sister for one hour. I laughed at that and asked him how old was his sister - he replied "Which sister you want"!

Wuhan was a different matter. The hotel, supposedly the best in the city, wasn't so much lacking in hygiene as failing to accept the very concept. Re-usable chopsticks that all had lipstick stains, caterpillars and slugs on any green vegetables, water with strange creatures swimming in it... At an end-of-meeting formal banquet, we were served a 'local delicacy', fish from the open sewer that is the Yangtze river, and told that the intestines of that fish (served whole, lightly steamed) were a special treat reserved for honoured guests. I declined, saying that it would be improper for the treat to go to anyone other than the eldest at the table - after that was translated, the mayor of Wuhan, who looked to be at least double my age, nodded in agreement, grabbed the fish guts and gobbled them down.

I could go on and on...

Pete

Lol !!

18 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

What could be nicer and good for you as well than a cheese salad sandwich, on brown of course?    I bought one while on a road trip, in its greased cardboard and plastic triangular container.   And forgot about it.

Months later, I found it under the car seat.     It is sarcophagus it looked absolutely fine,the salad was not wilted,the cheese was not mouldy.    No, I did not eat it, but it even smelt ok when I cracked the coffin open.

I'm sure they fill that container with a gas, nitrogen, CO2 or something that preserves a sandwich.

John

John, That is fascinating. Seems to me it must have been sealed in its container -maybe with Co2 to keep the salad happy - and then sterilised by radiation. https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/irradiated-food 

gamma or X-rays ?

Maybe unsold time-expired contents could be repackaged with a new best before date, re-irradiated and resold ?

I knew gamma sterilisation is used for NZ meat products  too avoid freezing costs, but sandwiches ...............!!

Peter