Best garage conditions

I have just finished my detached timber garage for my TR6. What are the best conditions of temperature and humidity that I should aim for inside the garage so as to keep it in tiptop condition? And is it best to cover the car or let the air flow around it?

"What are the best conditions of temperature and humidity that I should aim for inside the garage so as to keep it in tiptop condition? "

Do what many of us do and erect a Carcoon or Airchamber inside the garage and place the TR within it. The cost is minimal, about £300 new, (less for used examples off e bay, that's where I bought mine) and the running costs extremely reasonable (there air extraction uses 2 x Large fans pulling the air in through carbon filters, which use milliamps, probably less than £20 yearly). It keeps dirt and dust off your car and controls the humidity within.

These autumn or winter days are difficult in our "wet" climate. Often with an low outside temperatures (this morning it is -1 outside) and with a humidity of 89% it only requires a temp of -2 (a 1 deg drop) and this mornings dew point forming moisture on steel, leather, and fabric objects is breached. Uneconomic to heat an outside garage over such a large cubic area (what cost to raise the garage temps overall up 2-3 deg which may need to be even more depending upon outside changing temp and humidity levels). Far easier and controllable to use a controlled humidity chamber with car within.. It's what F1 teams use, I guess they'll have spent abnormal amounts of money researching it. My research is putting a car inside in November and bringing it out again in April still with bright shiny brake discs and chrome parts and without signs of damp on seats and interior fittings, works for me.

It is thought by some experts that unfortunately a close fitting cover may well hold moisture within it close to the cars surface cause microblistering on the paint surface of the car. 

Mick Richards  

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I too have mine in an airchamber, slight improvement on the carcoon as it has a frame that holds it up all the time, works very well and for the cost its the best solution.

Stuart.

Carcoon for mine, at the price and the runnning cost it would be difficult to find another solution so cheap which does the job.Humidity is not controlled but the constant airflow equalises the temperature between air &  metal and it does not suffer from condenation. If the car is wet when loaded in then it soon dries and stays thay way.

Alan

Another option is to properly insulate the garage as this slows down the rate of temperature change so again reducing condensation. No need to heat the garage. If you need to work in it, then wear warm clothing, don't use a fan heater as condensation will form as soon as its switched off.

Mick

5 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Mick,

how is the humidity controlled (lowered) in the Carcoon?

Thanks,
Waldi

Sorry Waldi been away today.

The Carcoons have 2 x 10" fans embedded into the end wall where the top cover zips onto the heavy duty floor covering, they draw through garage ambient air in temp and humidity through carbon filters and blow the air (reasonable flow but not a gale) through the Carcoon interior which you regulate by a zip aperture ventilator about 300mm long in the other end wall. If you put a car in wet you open the zip fully and leave for a couple of days (the release of air isn't enough to deflate the "bubble") which dry's the car in the constant air flow. Then you zip up the ventilator strip which encases the car within it's own airflow and air release is through the zips and other fixtures (obviously not meant to be airtight).

I should check out the Carcoon website if you want more technical details about it, www.carcoon.com/faq/

but as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and they work excellently.  

Thanks Mick,

I did not read on the website it lowers humidity, but the air circulation dries the car, just after a (wet) ride, especially when the engine and drive train will increase the air temperature.

So for many a good solution.

I have an insulated and heated garage, where I keep the temperature just a couple of degrees above the outside temperature.

Cheers,

Waldi