I've been searching but not found the answer, is it possible to change the throttle body balance pipes without removing the throttle bodies?

I can imagine it could be possible If there is enough of the metal pipe to slide the rubber pipe over and and then work it back over the opposing metal pipe. 

Anyone tried this or know it can be done? My rubber pipes look pretty tired so I want to renew them. 

Thanks

Gareth

It is but its a bit of a struggle depending on the pipe used and the length.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I'll get some and see if I'm brave enough to give it a go. 

Cheers

Gareth

11 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Thanks Stuart, I'll get some and see if I'm brave enough to give it a go. 

Cheers

Gareth

I've done it - make sure that they're not too long. I haven't used silicon tube but I'd be worried it might collapse under vacuum.

14 minutes ago, Mike C said:

I've done it - make sure that they're not too long. I haven't used silicon tube but I'd be worried it might collapse under vacuum.

I should be able to feel the length of the metal tube through the old pipes and see how much wiggle room it would give me, and possibly trim the new ones if they are too long. 

Gareth

48 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I should be able to feel the length of the metal tube through the old pipes and see how much wiggle room it would give me, and possibly trim the new ones if they are too long. 

Gareth

I'd start by comparing the new pipes with the old- someone might have already trimmed the old pipes.

Just offered up my spare throttle bodies. The tubes appear to vary in length, depending how far they have been pushed into the bodies. I measured 75mm between bodies, 32mm and 23mm between pipes. Not much wiggle room.

Paul

IMG_20210809_145639466_compress83.jpg

All good information guys, good to have a heads up before going ahead. I'll update with pictures as and when I do this. 

Gareth

5 hours ago, Mike C said:

And fuel resistant.

Would they come into contact with any significant amount of fuel Mike? 

Gareth

15 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Would they come into contact with any significant amount of fuel Mike? 

Gareth

Don't know about significant, but they're on the petrol side of the butterflies and it will find its way to the hose material.

Ummm - I wonder if it would have been quicker to remove and replace the throttle bodies? With the time spent on this topic in the forum, there might even have been time to fabricate a jig to ensure the throttle bodies went back in exactly the same place whence they were removed! ;)

Edited by JohnC
Edited to emphasise humour!